Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    The collective memory these days suggests that the last person to die in an F1 event was Aryton Senna in 1994. But of course a track marshal was killed in 2001 during the Australian Grand Prix.
    And don't forget that a marshal was killed during the 2000 Italian GP.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Just watched this on iplayer and found it far more moving than I was expecting. That last segment actually brought tears to my eyes, something that I can't remember happening to me since I was a kid.

Life seemed so cheap, almost worthless. It also rammed home the importance of Jackie Stewart. I've always known that he's done a lot for safety, right up to modern day, but I did t realise what a lone voice he was.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

3. Likes: Fortitude (20th January 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by barryfullalove
    Just watched this on iplayer and found it far more moving than I was expecting. That last segment actually brought tears to my eyes, something that I can't remember happening to me since I was a kid.

Life seemed so cheap, almost worthless. It also rammed home the importance of Jackie Stewart. I've always known that he's done a lot for safety, right up to modern day, but I did t realise what a lone voice he was.
    I watched some of it on YouTube earlier (couldn't see the second half). I was most impressed with the range of interviewees — not often will you see the likes of Tony Brooks, Len Terry, Jackie Oliver, Jacky Ickx and Nina Rindt on a TV documentary alongside some of the better-known names. And their contributions were all most worthwhile. The only things that grated slightly in the first half for me were the occasionally poor pronunciations of foreign words by the narrator, and the use of the phrase 'Grand Prix' on its own when 'Grand Prix racing' was clearly what was meant, rather as 'rally' is used nowadays instead of 'rallying'. But I'm nitpicking.

As for Stewart, remember that this is the man described by Max Mosley as a 'certified halfwit'. Jackie Stewart was the man who did more than any other individual to make motor racing a less perilous activity. Max Mosley was once arrested for threatening behaviour while supporting his father at a fascist rally in the 1960s.

5. Likes: Fortitude (20th January 2022)
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    I finally got around to watching this last night and thought it did well to put across the dangers that existed, and the efforts of those, particularly Sir Jackie, to do something about reducing those dangers. It didn't highlight anything new for me, but it should be essential viewing for those who have come to the sport within the last 20yrs.

It is extraordinary to see what was deemed "acceptable", but these were different times. We only have the levels of safety now, not because the sport simply could not continue as it was but because someone stood up and did something about it in the face of considerable opposition.

It was bad enough to get a sense of the anger that is still there over the loss of Jim Clark; how senseless it was. But perhaps most heartbreaking of all was to see David Purley's efforts to save Roger Williamson at Zandvoort, particularly as the circuit had been rebuilt and the latest safety features added. It was thought to be "safe".
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

7. Likes: Fortitude (20th January 2022)
    Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    It was bad enough to get a sense of the anger that is still there over the loss of Jim Clark; how senseless it was. But perhaps most heartbreaking of all was to see David Purley's efforts to save Roger Williamson at Zandvoort, particularly as the circuit had been rebuilt and the latest safety features added. It was thought to be "safe".
    The circuit itself probably was, but the cars weren't and the response procedures certainly weren't!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Oh god yes the Nina Rindt section....when she says "his trophy is over there..." and pointing across the lounge, very moving. The quality and depth of the interviewees definitely made the programme.
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    The circuit itself probably was, but the cars weren't and the response procedures certainly weren't!
    If I remember rightly, years later Williams did a demonstration run at Zandvoort — I think Ralf Schumacher was driving. The car blew up and a small fire started. The marshals wouldn't go anywhere near. Plus ça change, perhaps.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    I finally got around to watching this last night and thought it did well to put across the dangers that existed, and the efforts of those, particularly Sir Jackie, to do something about reducing those dangers. It didn't highlight anything new for me, but it should be essential viewing for those who have come to the sport within the last 20yrs.
    I too watched it last night (for some unfathomable reason we watched Pissing About on Ice while it orginally aired on Sunday). I was aware of most of the incidents featured but I'd never actually seen the graphic details. It was truly shocking television, and perhaps there's an argument that it shouldn't have contained such strong material, but personally I feel it was not only justified but necessary in order to adequately show just how gruesome the sport could be.

That was indeed heartbreaking. You could almost sense the exact moment Purley realised that his battle had been lost, and sense his anguish. It beggars belief that cars thundered by while a human being burned to death just inches away. It's impossible to imagine what went through his head during those agonising minutes.

My one criticism of the programme is that it seemed to end rather abruptly on the note that finally a season passed without a fatality. It failed to address the improvements in safety which took place over the following years, but I guess that fell outside its remit. That's a minor gripe with what was in every other respect a fascinating hour of television.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    It is blocked cause i am in the wrong country!!!

Had no luck with youtube either.

Dam!!!!

What is interesting for me, is that the discovery channel [not speed] in the usa often shows a number of such events and programs, usually from the BBC and I hope they will pick this one up as well.
    Isle of mann races in HD from the BBC, were STUNNING LAST year!!!

Speed (formerly speedvision) when it was Speedvision in its early days showed about every form of racing there was, with many a repeat. Even amatuer sports car racing from the SCCA and AMA races, all very regularly shown. Great channel it was, but now it shows (1) f1 race and qing(usually only once); (2) Motogp and some support races and (3) world superbikes and much nascar, but the reality mechanic shows, tow truck family, pink slips, alaska trucking reality show, bareit auction now dominate even over nascar.......oh well

anyway my comments below are based on my own experiences during the sixties.......
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Indeed -
    In 1976 A season finally passed without a death at the track
    Which kind of gives the impression that it was all over, problem solved.

Even if we ignore testing accidents there were to be deaths in 1977, 1978, 1982 and 1994.

It's now 17 years since that fateful weekend in May 1994, can we now say that the spectre of death in Grand Prix racing has finally been put behind us? I guess we can't ever be that complacent.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

14. Likes: Fortitude (20th January 2022)