Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Yes and the old people would be miserable gits like our nextdoor neighbours....
    You live next door to Victor Meldrew?
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eki
    I've noticed that in British TV shows there often are mixed-race couples but in American TV shows it's not so common and the couples are usually of the
    same race. Am I just imagining, or is my observation really true?
    The short answer is you are correct. However it is changing rapidly. I have a conspiracy theory that think tanks study demographics and make decisions that are based on the bottom line economics

Captain Kirk and uhura shared the first interracial kiss in a 1968 episode of Star Trek

However Captain Kirk demonstrated in the same season that he was an equal opportunity horn-dog as he was also into Green Aliens

May the forza be with you

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    I agree that having all white all the time probably isn't realistic, but tokenism isn't the answer either.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I agree that having all white all the time probably isn't realistic, but tokenism isn't the answer either.
    I'm not sure that having a black character in Midsomer Murders would be tokenism, though. After all, it's not just white people who live in English villages.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I'm not sure that having a black character in Midsomer Murders would be tokenism, though. After all, it's not just white people who live in English villages.
    True, but now they would be introducing a black character just for the sake of having one, and that's tokenism!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I love how South Park have a character called Token Black.

Of course it would be tokenism, Ben, to suddenly put a black character in purely off the back of all this fuss is exactly what tokenism is. And for the most part the English villages down this way are very much an all white afair.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    Hmm, because other than that the programme is just SO realistic....
    Exactly - it's just a bunch of characatures anyhow. It's set in a time and place that don't, and never have, existed.
    Adding coloured actors is adding realism, something that has no place in murderous Midsomer :

The impression I'm getting is that some hack went out looking for exactly this story, asking the right questions to get a decent set of nasty sounding quotes from somebody stupid enough to give them. And now the media are baying for blood .....

One of my horses is named Midsomer Madness (Somer) after the show and a quote from my favourite play. Another is called India. Diverse enough?
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazell B
    The impression I'm getting is that some hack went out looking for exactly this story, asking the right questions to get a decent set of nasty sounding quotes from somebody stupid enough to give them. And now the media are baying for blood .....
    It's funny how, amongst untold tragedies in Japan (just the nuclear thing alone would be terrifying, let alone along with the other disasters) and numerous uprisings and riotings in the middle east, the British media are making a huge fuss over some white guy saying that he doesn't see what would be added by bringing a black character into the TV programme he writes. The human race is ****ing ridiculous.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barryfullalove
    It's funny how, amongst untold tragedies in Japan (just the nuclear thing alone would be terrifying, let alone along with the other disasters) and numerous uprisings and riotings in the middle east, the British media are making a huge fuss over some white guy saying that he doesn't see what would be added by bringing a black character into the TV programme he writes. The human race is ****ing ridiculous.
    Not really - the media are still covering the Japanese situation as well, it's not binary.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There's a disaster in Japan, yes. But you're still here talking about Midsomer Murders, calling it ridiculous to be talking about it
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused: