Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Tilke ?

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts

Why Tilke ?

Sir Jackie has just come out with a statement about how it's not necessarily the cars that are the direct cause of the lack of overtaking .
    And , I've got to agree about the lack of punishment the tracks mete out for going wide , off the surface .

When I see a new Herman Tilke track , I expect to see , and am never disappointed , issues that clearly point to difficult to pass scenarios .
    I would point to the oft used kink , not far from a hair-pin braking zone , that negates one the the hardest places on any track to defend as a danger zone , as one of the worst "trademarks" of his work .

Why is this man the "go-to" guy for the newest tracks ?

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    I don't know but I hope they keep him on a short leash in Austin.
    May the forza be with you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Alcatraz
    I don't know but I hope they keep him on a short leash in Austin.
    No chance , Traz .
    Everything's big in Texas .
    Long leash , no fences , but long bull whip as well .

Although , they do have Roamy within biting range , and that just might be enough to keep him in line all on it's own .

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    i've often wondered the same, and assume he must have some kind of long term contract with either the FIA or Bernie for his company to be the designers of all new F1 grade circuits for "x" years. whilst some are decent, and with due regard to the sites, i do think it would be better to have some sort of competition for the contract to design these things.
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    I don't know why Tilke.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    He is better at designing circuits than many people make him out to be, but some variety would be welcome (like the relatively new Portimao circuit could be added to the calendar). But I also guess it is about long-term contract and co-operation between Bernie and Hermann. Both partners trust each other and in this case see no need to loosen the ties.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    The problem isn't so much the corners or track surfaces, it's the stupid run off areas. Too much tarmac, too easy to make a major error and still be in a race, sometimes with no position loss.
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Tilke is one of only two people that has the required licence to design F1 level race tracks, and unlike the British guy (who did Dubai and re designed Silverstone) he is a good mate of Bernies, which means that every time a new government goes to Bernie and says "we want a race in our country", he'll point them in the direction of Tilke.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    Tilke is one of only two people that has the required licence to design F1 level race tracks, and unlike the British guy (who did Dubai and re designed Silverstone) he is a good mate of Bernies, which means that every time a new government goes to Bernie and says "we want a race in our country", he'll point them in the direction of Tilke.
    Ah , I guess that's why . Thanks .
    One wonders whether the rough time that Silverstone got was in some way related to them not using Tilke's services .

It then stands to reason that when you apply , your best chance of success is with Hermann's company .
    That seems fair . he he .
    You only get to play the game if you play the game .

It seems there's no point in anyone else trying to get licensed , then .

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I am evil Homer
    The problem isn't so much the corners or track surfaces, it's the stupid run off areas. Too much tarmac, too easy to make a major error and still be in a race, sometimes with no position loss.
    I'd have to disagree with that to an extent. I want to see cars in the race, not sitting in a gravel trap or on a hook, but in many instances of his design, the track itself doesn't lend itself to passing. If they aren't going to take chances, they aren't going to pass. It's not because they aren't wide enough, it's not because there is no penalty for going off. The performance of the cars are out of sync with the tracks. The cars accelerate too damn hard, the semi auto transmissions eliminate missed shifts, they brake way too hard. IMHO, it's also the breed of drivers we have. Agressive drivers are penalized far too often and the rest drive around like panty waists 90% of the time.

Sleeper answered the question though. He's bernie's buddy.

I'm curious to see how Austin turns out. Tilke's designing the track, but not the facilities. IMHO, ther's far better TRACK designers in the world.

In my opinion, his tracks are only as good as the terrain he is given to use, though I think he could make Spa boring. oh wait, wasn't he responsible for eliminating one of the most famous chicanes on the planet and creating one of the most dangerous pit entrances anywhere? Same with Korea.

I think where he has great terrain, nature takes over and masks what would have been bad, but with a flat table, well, you get a flat table that looks like someone gave him a box of AFX track and let him loose.

They have these things called bulldozers. They make hills and valleys as well as they get rid of them. I guess when you give him either a desert floor or reclaimed swampland there is a limit to what one can do.
    HINCHTOWN!!