Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How do insurers know...

Your yearly mileage?

When they ask for your estimated mileage they don't ask what it's currently at on your clock yet this can decided how much your premium will be

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    I've wondered that

I think my mileage on my insurance is for about 6,000 yet I have already done over 1,000 in my 1st month :\
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They don't know for sure. The MOT includes miles done now, but they have no access to that as far as I know. They just ask and believe in my experience.

I'm down for 8k miles each year and if questioned would say my partner does the other miles on his policy :
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    They dont and thats one of the reason why some insurance companies are advocating those little black boxes that track your mileage. But then you get the whole debate on whther its just a ploy to charge you more for driving at peak times etc.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/insuran..._id=4&ito=1565
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah I'm pretty sure it is just a stupid ploy to charge innocent people more. Isn't that what all insurance companies do?!

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    They don't. You could in fact lie to them all that you like.

The flip side of that is that if you actually have an accident, then because you lied to them they're probably going to void your claim entirely but the choice is up to you.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazell B
    They don't know for sure. The MOT includes miles done now, but they have no access to that as far as I know. They just ask and believe in my experience.

I'm down for 8k miles each year and if questioned would say my partner does the other miles on his policy :
    Not to be funny to all the other people who say "they don't know" but Hazell is right in what she says and I'm sure there's probably something in your policy which states that if they ask, you must provide them with MOT certificates and so on to show how much mileage you've done.

They don't know, but if they want to know then I'm sure they could find out.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Every time you have something done to your car, servicing, even a headlight change, whoever does it tends to ask for your milage. So there's records of it all over the place.

My car has never had an MOT.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Every time you have something done to your car, servicing, even a headlight change, whoever does it tends to ask for your milage. So there's records of it all over the place.

My car has never had an MOT.
    Of course. Tbh I don't think it's a big problem. WHenever I've spoken to insurance companies about it, they say that they only want an approximate idea..... If you say you'll only fo 6k miles and end up doing 40k then I think they'd take issue.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Every time you have something done to your car, servicing, even a headlight change, whoever does it tends to ask for your milage.
    There are records, but how would your insurance company know where to look? They don't know which garage you use (and most garages aren't in national network of computers anyway) and there's no small print in my new schedule about me ever having to show them MOT's with the miles on even after a claim.

How did this old thread ever get earthed up?
    Someone's got time on their hands :
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused: