Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    I think the rulebook caught them out - the new for '10 rules stated that you are not allowed to top up fluids/air or, due to the shortness of tyre only pitstops, they had no time to top up pneumatic valve system.

I can only assume they had not thought about this during testing, when they could top up at will.

I may well be wrong, but I am sure it was the pneumatic valves that caused the issue................
    That rule wasn't new though.

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    Do you not feel that some of the top teams are sandbagging in testing,as no one team has been consistently at the top of the time sheets at even two of the testing circuits already used.OR are we going to see a car that is superior of the others in the Barcelona test later this week?

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    MacLaren needs one or two gloory runs this test that´s for sure. Those radical designs is hard to master if it is possible.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Alcatraz
    Here is one explanation about McLarens lack of mileage.
    Take into consideration that the mileage attained using the modified MP/25 is counted toward the total.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=400356

McLaren has a lot of work to do. I think the MP-26 will either be a world beater, or a 2nd tier contender. It's still way too early to draw any informed conclusions!
    A lot of work to do, indeed. But what's interesting is that even with all those little teething problems, the speed was pretty consistent and always around the top 3 or 4, so I'm thinking IF they are able to set the car up properly and finally nail the aerodynamic efficiency they're looking for, all the radical stuff may finally pay out for them. For a team as capable as Mclaren, that's not very hard to do. Any which way, even if it's not a world beater, I don't think it would be a 2nd tier contender.

BTW I do expect all the major teams breaking cover on some new parts for the upcoming tests at Catalunya and Bahrain, so probably new front and rear wings galore.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia 01
    MacLaren needs one or two gloory runs this test that´s for sure. Those radical designs is hard to master if it is possible.
    Glory runs no!!

Testing has changed quite fundamentally now that 'in-season' testing is no longer permitted.

This 'in-season' testing is now substituded by use of complex simulators, and getting these attuned to the actual car is where it's at right now. So teams spend a lot of time in the tests data gathering in different scenarios - high fuel loads, low fuel loads, temperature changes, dirty air, clean air.

Of course, now we have adjustable rear wings, single diffusers, KERS, Pirelli tyres. The more accurate you can correlate your data during the tests, the better you will be served throughout the year using the simulator.

Then you just need to use the Friday practice sessions to fine tune the setups for qually and the race.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-ecutioner
    A lot of work to do, indeed. But what's interesting is that even with all those little teething problems, the speed was pretty consistent and always around the top 3 or 4, so I'm thinking IF they are able to set the car up properly and finally nail the aerodynamic efficiency they're looking for, all the radical stuff may finally pay out for them. For a team as capable as Mclaren, that's not very hard to do. Any which way, even if it's not a world beater, I don't think it would be a 2nd tier contender.BTW I do expect all the major teams breaking cover on some new parts for the upcoming tests at Catalunya and Bahrain, so probably new front and rear wings galore.
    Saying McLaren may end up second tier is what I said but I spoke erroneously. What I meant was they may be a cut below Red Bull, or Red Bull, and Ferrari (most likely the former) if their radical design is less than spectacular. I think it is hard to even draw the conclusion that they have relatively good pace as far as times have gone so far because when they are testing their exhaust, and diffuser configurations, they are likely not running as many consecutive heavy laps and also more concerned with traction, and speed out of corners. The miles they put on the modified MP/25 will give them useful tire wear data in a relative sense, but they need to be running this year’s contender for specific data. Having said all of that I'm sure the MP-26 will be competitive and in a group among the top three, maybe even ahead. They just have a lot of work to do, and they may not even have the car completely sorted out until Spain, which is not uncommon.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by driveace
    Do you not feel that some of the top teams are sandbagging in testing,as no one team has been consistently at the top of the time sheets at even two of the testing circuits already used.OR are we going to see a car that is superior of the others in the Barcelona test later this week?
    I don't know about sandbagging but probably some of them are not making low fuel runs. I would imagine they are starting full fuel and working down. 15 lap fuel is probably not too important at the moment. Although if barcelona is the last test you may see some qually setups.
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts
    For the members that are not aware of this resource you can follow practice live, (in text) at http://live.autosport.com/
    or just use it to review the running. It's really quite good. I devoured it live last season, but have not had the wear with all to this season.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Nice and wet out there this morning - a chance to test the new inters.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 103 Times in 39 Posts
    Is it me or does the Toro Rosso look very quick this year? Especially Alguersuari. I know testing doesn't mean much, but this could be a good season for them perhaps. Does anyone have any info on their long runs, or are all their fast laps just showbaoting?