Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Sorry to take so long to respond here, eX - life gets in the way of a good forum stoush,sometimes.

Now, to reiterate so you don't miss the point - the Ricciardo lad is doing his job and doing it well. I grant you the point about Perez, which kind of backs up what I was saying in the first instance: that these lads are doing a great job (in 2nd string cars btw), keeping the team near the top of the lists, doing good times and also doing what they are there for - testing. Doing better times than many main game drivers, though once again, testing v outright performance blah blah blah.

As for hype, well I don't create it, but it has to come from somewhere - surely this is as a result of keen observers seeing something in the boy that they didn't see in Pantano, for example? Maybe its a demeanor thing? Maybe its because he is fast in the 2nd string car and it's not as a result of being a flash harry in the championship winning RBR? Anyway, my points stand.

Now, as for your comments about Anthony West - well that's just mean, and ill-informed too I might add. You give the impression of being a keen observer of motor racing in general, but the reality when the surface is scratched seems a little different? Anyway, I am sure we can agree to disagree here.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFamousEccles
    As for hype, well I don't create it, but it has to come from somewhere - surely this is as a result of keen observers seeing something in the boy that they didn't see in Pantano, for example? Maybe its a demeanor thing? Maybe its because he is fast in the 2nd string car and it's not as a result of being a flash harry in the championship winning RBR? Anyway, my points stand.
    I'm not going to comment again on the times that this kid did, because like I said before, testing times are pointless, and this kid has only done that so far in his short F1 career, and that is -- wait for it -- TESTING! As for the hype, honestly so far I've only seen the partisan Australian blokes making a fuss about this. None of the regular F1 sites even noticed Ricciardo's time, while the Fox Sports Australia website made a full article out of it. Just do a Google search on his testing times, the first 10 results are Australian websites. Do you see the pieces coming together here?

Now, as for your comments about Anthony West - well that's just mean, and ill-informed too I might add. You give the impression of being a keen observer of motor racing in general, but the reality when the surface is scratched seems a little different? Anyway, I am sure we can agree to disagree here.
    I know you folks are in love with that guy over at the motorcycle racing forum, so please excuse me, I wouldn't want to jump in and ruin the love affair with hearts popping and what not. But it's just too much nut-hugging for a guy whose biggest claim to fame are two victories in Supersport in rain in 2007, which by the way he hasn't been able to emulate since then. And before you go further, I already know what the retorts are gonna be, lack of money, lack of sponsors, bad machinery, this, that, blah, blah, so save it. This is the F1 forum, so it'd be better to kill this one here before pino jumps in and tells us to.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-ecutioner

I know you folks are in love with that guy over at the motorcycle racing forum, so please excuse me, I wouldn't want to jump in and ruin the love affair with hearts popping and what not. But it's just too much nut-hugging for a guy whose biggest claim to fame are two victories in Supersport in rain in 2007, which by the way he hasn't been able to emulate since then. And before you go further, I already know what the retorts are gonna be, lack of money, lack of sponsors, bad machinery, this, that, blah, blah, so save it. This is the F1 forum, so it'd be better to kill this one here before pino jumps in and tells us to.
    I agree about pino - I will say though that this paragraph is a pearler, I nearly spilled beer, gawdammit!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree about pino - I will say though that this paragraph is a pearler, I nearly spilled beer, gawdammit!
    Yep, almost as good as a bunch of guys having orgasms over winter testing times.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    He'll get his chance eventually - STR generally cycle through their drivers quite quickly. No need to hire him instantly because of testing results.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Pretty much anyone can go fastest if they take out all the fuel. He does look impressive to date though - he's clearly a long way off Webber's seat, but I can imagine him putting pressure on the Toro Rosso drivers before long, particularly Buemi, who had a poor end to the last season.

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Never Mind
    May the forza be with you

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    I also remember Davidson and Liuzzi topping Friday testing times (when third drivers were allowed on those days) quite often. Didn't make them World Champions though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    I also remember Davidson and Liuzzi topping Friday testing times (when third drivers were allowed on those days) quite often. Didn't make them World Champions though.
    Exactly my point. Also, Buemi was mighty impressive in testing and practice before becoming a regular driver, and has since fizzled. I mean from what I remember, he topped 4 consecutive testing or practice sessions, putting in stonking laps beating regular Mclaren and Ferrari drivers. I know a lot of people thought at that time that he was the next big thing.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-ecutioner
    Exactly my point. Also, Buemi was mighty impressive in testing and practice before becoming a regular driver, and has since fizzled. I mean from what I remember, he topped 4 consecutive testing or practice sessions, putting in stonking laps beating regular Mclaren and Ferrari drivers. I know a lot of people thought at that time that he was the next big thing.
    I think that was the 2009 pre-season testing, when Buemi was actually using a 2008 car (STR unveiled their new car in March), which is why he was the fastest.