Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'd also factor in the Honda Japan vs American Honda/ HPD. That race really does little to benefit American Honda. It's football season, in the middle of the night when they run that race. He basically said it makes no sense to pay the bill on a very expensive event. They can probably spend 1/4 of the budget sponsoring 2-3 North American events and get a better ROI for American(and Canadian) Honda. It's no secret Honda sales TANKED over the past couple of years. It's obvious Honda has a budget for Indycar, and developing a reliable and durable spec engine to the new specs isn't a trivial expense when there is competetion involved. They have to maintain their reputation, so the money will go into engine developemnt and supporting the limited number of teams that go with their engine package. As we have all warned, competition is expensive. Honda knows that well.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    As pointed out on Radio LeMans, the fact Hideki Mutoh is now racing in Super GT should give you an idea about where Honda's priorities lie.
    No longer active on this forum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hornet
    As pointed out on Radio LeMans, the fact Hideki Mutoh is now racing in Super GT should give you an idea about where Honda's priorities lie.
    Which Honda? Isn't it American Honda rather than Honda Japan that is the "partner" with IndyCar?

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    There was something in Road and Track a few months ago about how performance no longer sells cars in Japan. That may have something to do with it.
    "Risk sweetens everything" - Peter Revson (1939 - 1974)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Which Honda? Isn't it American Honda rather than Honda Japan that is the "partner" with IndyCar?

Gary
    And do you actually think that "American" Honda doesn't do exactly what Honda "Japan" tells them to do?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    And do you actually think that "American" Honda doesn't do exactly what Honda "Japan" tells them to do?
    Did I say anything at all about them defying Honda Japan? Honda America had little, if anything, to do with the Motegi race. You said:
    When your number one backer of your series decides to pull out support from their own event........It Ain't Good.
    I am suggesting that Honda Japan (not Honda America the group sponsoring IndyCar) pulled the plug on Motegi, but that doesn't necessarily have much, again if any, impact on Honda America's continued participation in IndyCar. The sports number one backer DIDN'T pull the plug. Their parent company pulled the plug on THEIR race, one that meant virtually nothing to the "number one backer" itself.

As "journalist" surely you would understand how little that race meant to Honda America.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What interests me is what will replace it. Bernard says he wants it to be an oval to maintain the balance, but almost every remaining oval in the U.S. that could realistically host INDYCAR is ISC-owned. Outside of the U.S., well, doing a race in Australia/Eurasia/etc. does not make sense at this point when teams will be coming to grips with a transition to a new car in 2012.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I think the RLM guys were suggesting that whilst the Mutoh / Motegi positions aren't linked as such, they are symptoms of the same underlying situation.
    No longer active on this forum

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mister
    What interests me is what will replace it. Bernard says he wants it to be an oval to maintain the balance, but almost every remaining oval in the U.S. that could realistically host INDYCAR is ISC-owned. Outside of the U.S., well, doing a race in Australia/Eurasia/etc. does not make sense at this point when teams will be coming to grips with a transition to a new car in 2012.

hmmm, we're back at New Hampshire, Milwaukee, I'll assume LVMS (?). I suppose they could try Atlanta or Charlotte again since they seem to be playing well with Bruton Smith these days. Then let's see...well, Gateway was shut down in November, Pikes Peak is open again but in a much more low key fashion and questionable local support for a race. Pocono has always said no was no how and i think too close to Baltimore geographically and on the calendar. With the Nascar race the following week, there's no way New Hampshire could handle taking Motegi's date. I would rather see a way to add Road America in August with ALMS, possibly get on the track in San Antonio if that actually materializes. Swap Kentucky with the Motegi date, then race in Austin(which SMS probably won't like) before wrapping up in Las Vegas
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelred5
    Pocono has always said no was no how and i think too close to Baltimore geographically and on the calendar.
    Actually, last year the management of Pocono said they are interested in Indycar. They just installed full fencing and extra safer barriers so that is not an issue anymore. But the track is probably still too bumpy and it might oversaturate the market like you already said.
    Another oval you missed is Nashville, that was always a nice race.