Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A way to bring back non-championship grands prix?

Everybody knows that there are more tracks than places available on the calendar. Everybody also knows that the teams want to test in the middle of the season, but aren't allowed to (and quite frankly, on the evidence, that's working out fine so far). Teams are thus forced to test at race weekends. Finally, fans want to see some of the great old tracks back, and are also curious to see how an F1 car would go on one of the newer tracks not on the calendar.

Perhaps extra, non-compulsory and non-championship race weekends could be held at some of the forgotten tracks? Could be a way to get tracks like Imola back, would give fans in the places concerned something to cheer about, and would give the teams a chance for more testing. Since it's non-championship and all, it would even give reserve drivers and rookies a chance. Another consideration is that it could be a way of getting around the issue of more than one championship grand prix per country.

Obviously, too many of these each year and the idea would fall flat. Also, the cost is to be considered; some teams might not want to attend, but that's why I say not compulsory. And, of course, it'll never happen, but I can dream...

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Perhaps replace the end-of-season "young drivers" test with a young drivers race weekend?

And a mid-season "official reserve drivers" race would show up those reserve drivers who aren't up to the job.

As you say, just a dream nore:

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicpanda
    And, of course, it'll never happen, but I can dream...
    Keep dreaming son, stay dreaming

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    It's a nice thought.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ok so its a dream, but I think fans would love it and so would the drivers. I honestly believe the races would be more exciting as it would not effect any championship standings. They would all be going for it big time and to some extent the races could end up being more popular. Down side would be they could just use it as a test session, and that could be really dull.
    Indy cars says bye to Sky. Yeah baby.......

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    The FIA wouldn't allow such a thing as it would constitute extra testing days effectively. Then there is the added problem of shifting said cars around the world, which mightn't be such of a problem in Europe but to a flyaway destination, there'd be little to no benefit in doing so.
    Would the track have to be up to FIA standards?

I don't think that it's like the 50s and 60s anymore, in that the whole logistics of moving around the F1 circus and whatnot would just make the idea completely unfeasible; especially if there's no payoff for doing so.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Back in the day there weren't many GPs hence non championship races were feasible. But with 20 races on the calendar there just isn't room in the year for non-championship races too.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL
    Perhaps replace the end-of-season "young drivers" test with a young drivers race weekend?

And a mid-season "official reserve drivers" race would show up those reserve drivers who aren't up to the job.

As you say, just a dream nore:
    I like those ideas, particularly the mid-season reserve/friday drivers race - maybe the lead drivers could sub as the friday guy!!!!! just an idea..

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    I don't know about a race, but I'd support more and longer session on a Friday, but only allow the reserve drivers in the cars!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Holding an extra race at an unused track simply adds cost and logistical problems for very little return - the teams would much rather have an unrestricted test. Far better to use the Thursday before, or the Monday after, a race weekend to stage extra testing; ideally with rookie or reserve drivers.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u