Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wind of Change: Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Bahrain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12300164

Is Syria next? I hope the Iranian government gets toppled.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    It is more complicated than that. In muslim countries popular uprisings often end up putting fundamentalist regimes in place. That is exactly what happened in Iran in 1978 (remember American diplomats taken hostage?). I don't like corrupt undemocratic regimes, but fundamentalist alternative does not attract me either.
    Llibertat

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    But this isn't about religion, it's about basic things such as unemployment and food prices!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Tamasz
    It is more complicated than that. In muslim countries popular uprisings often end up putting fundamentalist regimes in place. That is exactly what happened in Iran in 1978 (remember American diplomats taken hostage?). I don't like corrupt undemocratic regimes, but fundamentalist alternative does not attract me either.
    And there are countries in Europe who needs a dramatic change for democracy. Isn't Rudy Tamasz?

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Well lets remember that many countries in Europe did rise up against dictatorship and overthrow it to usher in democracy. East Germany, Poland, Romania, etc etc.

It does seem the authorities are clamping down on this pretty hard, if you want to overthrow the government, you need the army and police to be on your side, or at least stay out of it.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    But this isn't about religion, it's about basic things such as unemployment and food prices!
    I understand that people got fed up with corrupt and inefficient governments. Being fed up and throwing the president out of the office won't help, though, if there is no reasonable plan of action and people to implement it. Normally in Muslim countries secular pro-Western opposition is as much corrupt and inefficient as the government they have toppled. It is the fundamentalists who know exactly what to do. That's why they make the most out of carnage. By hook or crook they get on top, establish Sharia law, and voila, you have public stonings etc. Just check the experience of Iran and Afghanistan. Same thing is about to happen to Pakistan. It will be a global disaster, given the size of the country.

I feel for the people of those countries but I have no team to root for in those standoffs.
    Llibertat

Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    And there are countries in Europe who needs a dramatic change for democracy. Isn't Rudy Tamasz?
    That's true. And we have the same dilemma. Crappy gov't vs. crappy opposition.
    Llibertat

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gloomyDAY
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12300164

Is Syria next? I hope the Iranian government gets toppled.
    The problem could be - Who will wind up in power - be careful what you ask for. I would imagine if the iranians protested you would see a lot of death. But none the less that is a real powder keg over there and hopefully we will keep our nose out of it. Alternative fueled cars is our answer.
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roamy
    The problem could be - Who will wind up in power - be careful what you ask for. I would imagine if the iranians protested you would see a lot of death. But none the less that is a real powder keg over there and hopefully we will keep our nose out of it. Alternative fueled cars is our answer.
    I almost spat my drink onto my keyboard when I saw who wrote that very sensible post
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    yea daniel - I am full of surprises
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"