Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    I always thought the long lengths of the races was necessary for the actual fans in the stands so they felt they had enough "track time" to make the trip to the track worthwhile. But from the dropping attendance, I'm beginning to question that.
    When I'm at the track and there's a late caution that bunches up the field, I think, "Can we just hurry up and end this already. I've had to pee since lap 120."
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NaBUru38
    About the fans' "track time", see that most major championships around the world have much shorter races than Nascar (F1 80-120min, WTCC ca. 30min, Argentine 50min, FIA GT1 60min, DTM ca. 60min), and they compensate that by having a long list of support races - development or gentlemen, lower formulae or touring cars, historic cars.
    Good point. That's why I would doubt NASCAR would ever consider doing that for their races. But I mentioned the possibility of doing that at Watkins Glen and Sonoma, the two road courses. I think it would be a little easier do that on those tracks. NASCAR cars are pretty slow on road courses, and I have a feeling the races at Watkins Glen and Sonoma probably have two of the lowest T.V. ratings of all the Cup races during the season, due to lack of speed and excitement. Of course, both of the races tend to last about 2 1/2 hours, which is roughly 30 minutes up to 1 1/2 hour shorter than the other races on the schedule.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICWS
    Good point. That's why I would doubt NASCAR would ever consider doing that for their races. But I mentioned the possibility of doing that at Watkins Glen and Sonoma, the two road courses. I think it would be a little easier do that on those tracks. NASCAR cars are pretty slow on road courses, and I have a feeling the races at Watkins Glen and Sonoma probably have two of the lowest T.V. ratings of all the Cup races during the season, due to lack of speed and excitement. Of course, both of the races tend to last about 2 1/2 hours, which is roughly 30 minutes up to 1 1/2 hour shorter than the other races on the schedule.
    Actually, road course races get some of the highest ratings. http://jayski.com/pages/tvratings2010.htm
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    Actually, road course races get some of the highest ratings. http://jayski.com/pages/tvratings2010.htm
    You are correct. I think people look forward to the road course races because they are a bit of a different, almost always exciting, always bring in new drivers (ringers), and for me, I particularly love watching the cars go through the esses at the Glen.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think road courses are one of those types of races where you either love them or you hate them...I love them!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownDog
    I think road courses are one of those types of races where you either love them or you hate them...I love them!
    Same here. I wish there were more of them on the schedules.
    "You win some, lose some, and wreck some." - Dale Earnhardt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky1329
    Same here. I wish there were more of them on the schedules.
    Me too. Montreal and Road America.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    Me too. Montreal and Road America.
    Amen
    #4 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, 2007 Daytona 500,2003 Brickyard 400,2x Coke 600,2014 Southern 500 Champ: 962 starts,90 wins, 345 T5s, 544 T10s, 44 poles, 2x NNS champ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How about Laguna Seca? Although, if that were to happen I'm pretty sure they would have to drop the race at Sonoma.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Road courses are my favorite also, and are the 2 races I am the most likely to watch flag to flag. The whole race is interesting & meaningful. Most NASCAR races are like NBA games - fun start, lots & lots of filler time in the middle (still good sport, but you don't miss anything by skipping it) then a tight, ref/official staged finish.
    N.Hayden L.Hamilton D.Earnhardt R.Gordon S.Speed T.Stewart J.P.Montoya G.Rahal Ferrari Lotus