Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I honestly had no clue JPS was a cigarette brand until I was probably 15 years old. I wasn't influenced to smoke because my favorite drivers drove the JPS. In american racing, just about every car was called the X "Special" of some sort. I had no idea who the hell John Player was. I detested smoking then, and I still do to this day, but that's an individual choice.

Too bad Lotus wasn't one of the teams sponsored by Playboy or Penthouse in the 70's
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    This is all as absurd as the cigarette in Paul McCartney's hand being airbrushed out of the Abbey Road album cover (link).
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Yep, lets not take things too far. Next they'll be saying you can't show any historic F1 because of the cig adverts they carried then (if they haven't already!)

Personally I just got into F1 about the time one usually starts smoking, but I have to say I've never encouraged to take up smoking by it. However if I were to start smoking I would have been more likely to choose a brand which was involved in F1 than one which was not.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I don't think tobacco advertising has ever been about getting folk to start smoking, but to get them to change brand - with success being the deciding factor to make the smoker change brand? I rather suspect a lot of market research by the tobacco companies have lots of data to support this theory.

Now, if you were to ask the CEO of JPS or whatever the company is called now, they'd probably not be upset with the proposed Lotus Renault livery.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Why is the Renault/Lotus colour scheme a problem when elsewhere a tobacco company can continue sponsoring a F1 team

Marlboro is on the verge of extending its title sponsorship deals with both Ferrari and the Ducati MotoGP team, AUTOSPORT has learned.
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88996
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    It's only an issue in Canada as far as I'm aware. If Renault are prepared to change their livery for the Canadian Grand Prix - perhaps go to all black, then the problem goes away, no?
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I'll be pleased if this livery is banned. Not because of any tobacco link, I couldn't give a hoot, but because anything which annoys Renault is fine by me
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 787 Times in 584 Posts
    This is great .
    Now Imperial Tobacco is advertising it's smokes with wheels and a finish line .

This is going to get ugly .

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    As a Canadian smoker, I find it odd that they would single out the Lotus livery, since the JPS cigarettes are marketed and sold in the UK, not Canada (although I suspect they are available here if you look hard enough).

In Canada, the primary Players livery (and packet colours) are evoked by the Players Forsythe cars of the 1990s, which were white & sky blue.

I cannot recall the last time I saw a JPS cigarette pack here, if ever.

Also, it is forbidden to even display cigarettes in a store here....so you cannot even peruse them to discover the packet 'liveries'.

This is all WAY WAY over the top IMO.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorslammer
    Let's face it, if you see a black and gold F1 car and that makes you want to buy cigarettes, I'm afraid it's you with the problem, not the F1 team itself.
    Exactly right. Unfortunately common sense and logic are extremely rare in F1 these days and this is another example of the current idiocy going on...