Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Building a PC

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edv
    Hope you solved your problems, sleeper.
    I've just built another HTPC based on AM3 socket/PhenomII X555. MicroATX Gigabyte MoBo. DDR3. Onboard ATI HD4250 graphics. Works like a charm.

BUT A QUESTION FOR DANIEL, OUR RESIDENT PC GURU:

I've started using an eSATA external HDD for backups (as opposed to USB2) because of the faster transfer speeds.
    eSATA is hot-swappable, but is a pain in the arse because you have to tell the PC (Vista x64) to search for new hardware in order to recognise the external HDD.

The problem is this: How to detach the eSATA drive while the PC is running? There is no 'safe to remove hardware' feature for eSATA as there is for USB. Short of putting the PC to sleep and then detaching the drive, how can you 'hot-detach' it without fear of interrupting a read/write?
    Yet another question I haven't replied to!!!!!!

I've actually been hotplugging drives since 2004 with no ill effects. I have had some hard drives die, but that was due to heat back in Australia.

Personally I think eSATA drives should be hotswappable, otherwise what's the point?

This post makes the most sense to me, I remember when SATA came, one of the things that was mentioned was that the connectors were specifically designed for hot swapping.

http://gamers-underground.com/tech-c...tml#post330287

This indicates that you should see whether the controller supports hot swapping.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/206783-14-sata-swap

And here -> http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/.../HotSwap.shtml is a utility which apparently put an icon in the taskbar which allows you to "eject" non-OS drives.

My thoughts are that as long as the backup is finished and nothing is trying to access the drive (anti-virus, spyware scanning software etc etc) that you could just yank the power or data cable regardless of having ejected it and it'd be fine. But of course someone losing data is a serious thing and if you want to be 110% sure then shutting the PC down isn't such a bad idea.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    My thoughts are that as long as the backup is finished and nothing is trying to access the drive (anti-virus, spyware scanning software etc etc) that you could just yank the power or data cable regardless of having ejected it and it'd be fine.
    Are the read/write heads of the drive parked or not when no process is accessing the drive anymore?
    If they are not than you better not pull the cables cause that will put the physical integrity of the HDD in danger.

Now we only need to know if the heads are parked or not before a disconnection order is sent to the drive.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    to find out, shake it hard after you pull it out :
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donKey jote
    to find out, shake it hard after you pull it out :
    I agree

Reply to my message on facebook Donks :P
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Hope you solved your problems, sleeper.
    I've just built another HTPC based on AM3 socket/PhenomII X555. MicroATX Gigabyte MoBo. DDR3. Onboard ATI HD4250 graphics. Works like a charm.

BUT A QUESTION FOR DANIEL, OUR RESIDENT PC GURU:

I've started using an eSATA external HDD for backups (as opposed to USB2) because of the faster transfer speeds.
    eSATA is hot-swappable, but is a pain in the arse because you have to tell the PC (Vista x64) to search for new hardware in order to recognise the external HDD.

The problem is this: How to detach the eSATA drive while the PC is running? There is no 'safe to remove hardware' feature for eSATA as there is for USB. Short of putting the PC to sleep and then detaching the drive, how can you 'hot-detach' it without fear of interrupting a read/write?
    PhenomII X555 is a good cpu BUT it may be better then you think
    http://www.triple3online.com/four-co...black-edition/

The hot swap feature will be a controller option. Not all eSATA drives are hot swappable. For some motherboards and controllers, an eSATA drive looks and appears just like an internal SATA drive. The OS will have some participation with this also. It is best to err as if the drive is a non-removable drive to prevent unintended data loss.
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Thanks for the tips.
    I do not want to load yet another agent, so I'll just use the 'Sleep' feature when detaching eSATA drives.

Thunderbolt, I was fully aware of the unlocking/clocking capabilities of the X555, but my application (HTPC) demands both power and low heat (fan noise). The X555 offers a decent compromise, given my other components.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    IE9 is out today and I'm using it at the moment and it seems a bit quicker.

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    I'm not cos I'm still on XP
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In Windows:
    Start -> Run ->
    Code:
    fsutil volume dismount X:
    where X is the drive letter of your eSATA drive.

Also accessible from Disk Management (right-click on Computer, go to Manage, go to Disk Management) — you can right-click on the volume in the diagram and unmount it from there.
    You are here.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    I remember when SATA came, one of the things that was mentioned was that the connectors were specifically designed for hot swapping.
    Yes, but the controller must be in AHCI mode to enable hot-swapping. In IDE mode (the default on most chipsets) the OS will not pick up the change. (Windows sometimes freezes, too.)

Some controllers behave differently, of course.
    You are here.