Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

McLaren launch set for after first test

OK this is no joke. Link: http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=49871\

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88834

Well, this comes as a surprise to me. I know that Ferrari is presenting their car before the first test. And with so few testing sessions to take advantage of, I wonder why is McLaren making this decision. Are the very last tests that important? Couldn't they end up with an imperfect car for the start of the championship?

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    The launch doesn't have to come before the first test. McLaren quite often test their new car in an orange livery before the unvieling.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    RBR didn't do the first test of 2010 IIRC and it didn't harm them. There's always been a fine balance to getting a car out early enough to put enough km's on it whilst not rushing it to the track and potentially loosing wind tunnel time in the process.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    This first test is at the end of this month. how far avay is the the next test.

The fact that they launch one car in Berlin dosenīt mean that they have carsīs ready for track, perhaps they need another couple of weeks. Or it could be that they have discovered a major problem in their developments.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Agreed with that article, that they may just be hiding some new 'trick' device. But I don't think 2011 will be a year of F-ducts or other special additions. It will come down to one very simple thing, which car works best with the Pirelli tyres, and that's down to so many factors, but the team that gets it right are going to be the winners.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Any idea why they're having their launch in Berlin? Could be because of Mercedes I guess but it's a long way from Stuttgart.

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    As long as they not runs with a 08 rear wing at their -26 I think they will do quit good.

Then we will see after the first couple of races.

Or they stay in the midfield as they did during the tests 09 and -10. Well then

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    To me it seems a little dangerous not taking full advantage of the very few testing sessions avalaible. Not knowing how the new car parts would harmonize with the new tires seems too much of a gamble to me.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mstillhere
    To me it seems a little dangerous not taking full advantage of the very few testing sessions avalaible. Not knowing how the new car parts would harmonize with the new tires seems too much of a gamble to me.
    Actually, I'd say it makes a lot of sense. Both drivers know the '10 car well, so comparing the Pirelli's to the 'Stones could be useful in gaining the characteristic traits.

Then, when they run the optimised '11 chassis, they can at least have some indication as to whether the tyres are working or not.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    ^ This.

My post got lost in the server move, but I posted yesterday that the golden rule with testing is to - wherever possible - only change one variable at a time. By running the new tyres on a familiar car with known setups the teams can glean a lot of useful data about the characteristics of said tyre before switching to the 2011 chassis.

It's actually a wonder that more teams aren't doing the same.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u