Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Four-cylinder engines in F1 'pathetic'

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/050120...-pathetic.html

Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo has slated F1’s new four-cylinder engine regulations for 2013 and beyond as ‘a bit pathetic’ – and has called upon his rival team bosses to back his efforts to delay the 1.6-litre, turbocharged unit’s introduction
    but for what is supposed to be the pinnacle of international motor racing, di Montezemolo argues that the latest move is a step too far and of little genuine relevance to the automotive industry.
    We are not going to build four-cylinder engines for our road cars just because we now need them for F1
    some one remind this moron that Ferrari is 90% owned by Fiat
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Stupidest move ever by F1, pinnacle of motorsport running tiny four cylinders excellent idea!
    Come check out our Blog at http://www.zooloo.com.au and come blog for us.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chindog34
    Stupidest move ever by F1, pinnacle of motorsport running tiny four cylinders excellent idea!
    Current engines : Displacement of 0.3 litres per cylinder
    New gen : Displacement of 0.4 litres per cylinder

Just sayin'....

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/050120...-pathetic.html

some one remind this moron that Ferrari is 90% owned by Fiat
    For once he is right. F1 with 4 cylinder engines would be a complete joke. I have accepted the stupid rule changes so far that have stunted the performance capabilities of F1 cars over the years. But if F1 goes to 4 cylinder engines, I will vote my dissaproval by using the red button on my TV remote

If I wanted to watch an eco-friendly racing series I would watch greyhound racing.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    I just want the engines furiously powerful, without this engine freeze or rev limiter rubbish. Noone was complaining about 4-cylinder engines being wimpy last time they were in F1.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    I just want the engines furiously powerful, without this engine freeze or rev limiter rubbish. Noone was complaining about 4-cylinder engines being wimpy last time they were in F1.
    The problem is this would be the start of the end of F1 as we know it. They are trying to make it an eco-friendly series. We already have stupid rules making teams design engines that have to last 3 or 4 races as though F1 is an endurance race etc etc

I don't like the way F1 is heading
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    HMMMMMMMM! Flat 4's
    V4's
    W4's.
    Could be interesting or more likely a flop.
    Too many FIA members who are more interested in PR than real racing.
    The demented midget has been quiet on this front.
    If he sees it as a real threat to F1 things will change.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    At Zeltweg, down the long straight to the Bosch Kurve, the car was throwing out 1400 bhp and just kept on pushing - you felt like you were sitting on a rocket.
    - Gerhard Berger (speaking in 2007) on the B186.

Figures of 1750bhp have been thrown about for the M12/13, which is simpy phenomenal.

Besides which, why is di Montezemolo complaining about building four-cylinder engines for F1 just because the road cars don't need them? Ferrari was perfectly happy to build 1.5L V6s in the 1980s, 3L V10s in the 2000s and 2.4L V8s in 2010, and none of them were in road cars.

Ferrari will build engines according to the rules, just like they always have and will do. Does Mr di Montezemolo think that he's Mr Jong Il or something?
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Was technically an F2 car to be fair, mind.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The 4cylinder turbos were making approx 1500bhp at around 11k with 1980's materials and technology. With today's technology I'm certain they could far exceed that output @ a 12K rev limit, if allowed to, which of course they won't be.

It kind of reminds me of the comparison of older cars and today's cars. My car in 1981 got high 30's-40 mpg with carburetors and breaker point ignition and were plenty comfortable and fully equipped. Now I have to buy a roller skate of a car that feels like it's a lunchbox, complete with plastic and styrofoam bumpers, all sorts of computers, electronic ignition, VVT, etc, etc etc. and I'm supposed to be excited when they can't get out of ther own way and struggle to get 30-32 mpg. WTF happened there? shouldn't I be making about 500 hp and getting over 100mpg with all that so called "technology".
    HINCHTOWN!!