Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Firestone leaving the series?

I just heard about this, that curt Cavin has indicated that Firestone may be leaving the series. Their contract was up on December 31st, and they would like to discuss an "exit strategy".

I'm not sure it has been posted on the Star yet, and I did not see this one coming.

With parent company Bridgestone pulling out of F1, it might be a cost reduction plan, or just an attempt to get a better deal.

If they leave it would be a huge blow to the series, as Honda and Firestone have spent millions promoting the series.
    Green, Green, Green!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Indystar post

http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpe...n-its-way-out/

Not good, but we shall wait and see. I'll try to get some info....
    Green, Green, Green!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    A big blow if it happens. It would also leave Firestone/Bridgestone supporting very little racing. Firestone as it was then did it once before.
    I expect someone would step in. Possibly Cooper or one of the Korean companies or even Hoosier. Unlikely to be Goodyear as they have the taxi cabs and WoO.
    Having lost the WoO Hoosier might be a good choice.
    Sure would throw the infamous cat in among the pigeons as everyone from the tire Co. to the teams tried to figure out what works.
    OK folks lets have a real discussion on this but please keep it polite and NO CART VS IRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I know some people are worried about tire wars breaking out, but having competition in 2012 might entice them to stay on board. They would only have to produce half the tires, put the costs they would save into R&D so they don't spend any extra money, and would be able to market themselves as beating a Michelin or Goodyear or Kuhmo or Cooper Tires.

I wonder if the Bridgestone arm of the company would be willing to fill their void? They would simply be changing the name on the tires, and would cost them much less then F1 did.

In 2012, I would like to see a different tire manufacturer in Indy Lights then Izod Indycar Series. That way, if something like this happens, we'd have someone with some recent open wheel experience that would be a very real option of filling in.

I know it is dangerous, but I want to see tire wars in 2012. I don't enjoy seeing people hurt, but this sport has gotten so safe (which is of course a positive) it has lost respect among the fans, and even the drivers show a lack of respect because of the levels of safety they have now.

Tire competition would infuse more money into the series, would add another story line to 2012, and would be a welcome sight in my eyes.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's bad but it all depends how much notice Randy and the front office has had to deal with this and when the out clause hits on the contract. I don't have any knowledge of what's going on but I would bet that if they didn't renew the contract they are probably locked in through 2011 because three months before the season could be a disaster... so unless TG was massively stupid when he signed the thing there's probably no reason to panic.

If they have a year they can get bids from different companies (Which they should have been doing anyway) and hopefully land a solid partner.

I would think the most logical choice would be Cooper, they're an American company with a world-wide reach they've been the supplier for A1GP and they put in a bid to be a Formula 1 supplier. If they want it they're probably the best option. They want to grow their market share.... who knows

If Michelin were interested that would be a huge amount of support for the ICS, they're still pissed at the FIA and Bernie so maybe they they'd like to take over Indycar.

While Firestone leaving is bad its an opportunity.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If this is true, it gives rise to doubt there was much notice.

I thought Gossage just signed Firestone in 2010 to a multi-year contract as the title sponsor for Texas.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Could be good if it means we end up with multiple tyre suppliers again, probably end up with another boring Pirelli control-tyre situation like F1 though, or something like that.

I honestly don't get why some people are so down on tyre wars. The Firestone/Goodyear battles of the mid-90s produced some great racing and interesting results. OK it got a bit one-sided towards the end with the Goodyear-shod Penske and Walker cars way further back than they should have been, but two or more fully committed, reasonably matched companies going at it has always improved the spectacle.

With testing restrictions already in place it doesn't need to become an arms race either.

Of course if there's only one taker then so be it, but at least leave the opportunity there...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've just drunk a little Kool-Aid so I say this: they circulate this rumour intentionally to a make a big deal out of the announcement of Firestone's contract extension, something that people wouldn't pay much attention to otherwise. Realistically, I'm worried because Firestone is much more than a tyre supplier to IndyCar, it's a part of its history. And they make cool ads.
    “It used to be about trying to do something. Now it’s about trying to be someone.”

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    They probably don't want to shell out the R&D for the new car.
    After years of the perfect Dallara/Honda/Firestone, 2012 will have variations in chassis, engines and now also tyres. It will be a fresh start for everyone.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some new/old information and thoughts

I'm shocked at the news that Firestone might leave at the end of the 2011 season.

Bridgestone has been in a major cost reduction mode since the auto industry and housing industry flat lined in 2008. Bridgestone has several companies under its umbrella including Firestone that are invloved in several industies other than just automotive.

Firestone has several companies under its umbrella, inluding roofing systems, Fuzion tires (sp), Bandag, natural rubber, industrial products etc. The auto industry has recovered a bit, but still lags behind the production numbers from the industries biggest years.

Leaving F1, was done after they were not able to get a more favorable deal to redcue costs. I would believe the same is what is going with Firestone and Indycar.

The other potential reason might be their move to another series. I can state, for a fact, that a "NASCAR Type" car has been testing, in an unmarked car, with unmarked tires, with a crew in unmarked uniforms from a well known team that races in multiple series, with a driver who has a longtime relationship with Firestone's racing tire group. I stumbled on them at a track in late 2009, so I will not enter into any disputes on this. And the guy in the white suit and helmet was not my good friend Ben Collins during his stint as The Stig.

IF they are moving to another series called NASCAR and not merely cutting costs, it would be a heavy blow to Indycar racing.

That being said, IF it happens, there could be an opportunity for another tire or multiple tire manufactures to enter the series. The big companies like Continental, Michelin, Goodyear and possibly the smaller groups like Falken, Hankook, etc. might give it a go.

I know some like tire competition, but most teams perfer a set series tire supplier which leels the playing field. Owners like a tire war since it can lead to more money, but we have time to digest what actually happens.
    Green, Green, Green!