Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    It seems to be a problem many places, trying to get the check at the end. When I have to wait like that I have a mental computer that adjusts the tip percentage in inverse proportion to the wait time. I've been known to leave a 1 cent tip just so they'll know I didn't forget. A word to the manager on the way out helps too.
    I hate not having a tip left, I am a big softy I must admit. Anyone who is putting in any sort of effort will get a tip from me FOR THE MOST PART. The ones I will not tip are the ones that don't care, or care so much they annoy the hell out of you. Oh ya, if I get the sense they are trying to move me along, no tip. I eat fast enough, I don't need people handing me the coat and shoving me out the door.

For the most part, I am a decent enough tipper. If the waitress or waiter is putting the effort in, she/he gets a tip.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    The server is not reponsible for either the quality of the food, nor the time it takes to prepare it.
    He/she is not necessarily responsible for the time to prepare the cheque. Often the restaurant is under-staffed and the server simply has too many tables to serve. If this appears to be the case, then a word with the manager would be a suggestion, and not a reason to deny a tip.

A good server should be knowledgable about the menu selection and be able to answer any questions, and take the orders accurately. Above all, he/she should be friendly and personable.

I'll typically tip 10 to 15%.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    Agree, but "putting the effort in" doesn't stop just because the last of the food was delivered. For anything like reasonable service I usually tip 20%.
    True. Most good servers usually know when to bring the check. It is VERY rare I have had to wait on it....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I like my single malt scotch. I if ask for one and the server does not know if they have one or the name of one I figure on poor service and am usually right.
    One restaurant told me they did not have a single malt when I could see the Glenfiddich bottle on the back bar. We just left and found another place.
    Ask for it straight up and it comes on the rocks or worse with water. Back it goes and I usually get up to make sure they do not just pour it into another glass if they served it with ice. I have left more than one place that tried that.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    well the elite places where i dine, they never present you with a check. You order, they wait hand and foot, and then when finished, they get your coat, help you put it on, open the door for you and the valet brings your car......

nothing so crass as to pay money in public for eating out.

Once a month, I think I get a tab, but my CPA handles all that with my personal banker
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Sounds dandy Mkbilly, but dining in such an elite establishment, I assume you don't have that woodchucker companion of yours in tow... :
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    Sounds dandy Mkbilly, but dining in such an elite establishment, I assume you don't have that woodchucker companion of yours in tow... :
    course not. I got her out making money to keep me in fine style
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markabilly
    course not. I got her out making money to keep me in fine style
    Although I admit she is a great asset. What else are you slingin' out of that log cabin 'cross the tracks beside Donkey's old lady for you to be living so large? mokin:
    May the forza be with you

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    that one was the eldest, she gets to wield the axe, but he also has 6 other little sisters
    United in diversity !!!