Quote Originally Posted by racer69
Actually i have an interview where Villeneuve says that he didn't choose #27, it was just the number that Team Green was alotted by CART in 1995 as it was considered a new team (after the split at the end of 1994 with Forsythe).
Of course, Villeneuve Sr. didn't pick that number either. Strange how 'traditions' start sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
I think other than one being for the champion if he wants it, let teams take their numbers as a brand. IT works in NASCAR and allows you to brand the number to the team, or to a very good driver.....
On the other hand F1 never had a fixed number system and they are doing all right.
Most (all?) Indycar teams don't use numbers in their marketing. I rather think most numbers have a completely random origin. Which is also why the champion seldom uses #1. It has no meaning, it's just another random teamnumber.
In my opinion they should use the drivers (not teams) standings of last season to determine the numbers for the next. I'd say that's even better for marketing because you'd have to buy new stuff every year!