Thread: How far is it?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How far is it?

Hey anyone been to Dover, am looking at going this year, but traveling from Washington, is it all that far, easy to do?
    Mystery strikes again!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    From DC it's about 2 hours. Not difficult. Take Route 50/301 through Annapolis across the Bay Bridge. Once on the "Eastern Shore", as it's called, there are numerous small roads across to Dover. Suggest getting a good map of Maryland/Deleware.

Over the past few years I've taken a shuttle bus to the track from the south. Worked pretty good for me. There should be information on the Website.

The place is usually pretty packed so I would suggest leaving early. The only rub will come returning to DC. The beach traffic heading back home on Sunday afternoon really clogs up the bridge over the Chesapeake.

As you start planning, let me know if you need any refinement in your plans.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've been to Dover comming from the north, and for me the traffic was just Hell. By the time I finally got to my seat, the cars were rolling.

My advice is to go to the Busch race instead.

And if anyone here lives north of Dover and is considering going to a race, you're better off at Pocono.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    Over the past few years I've taken a shuttle bus to the track from the south. Worked pretty good for me. There should be information on the Website.
    Here's the website for the DART (Delaware Area Regional Transit, I think) shuttle bus service to the track. I park at the "Blue Hen Corporate Center" which is about four or five miles south of the track. The busses use a road that is not open for race traffic that goes within a few hundred yards of the track. You get to the track very quickly from the lot where the bus picks you up. It also makes it nice after the race. About 30 minutes after the checkered flag I'm in my truck, 5 miles out of town, and don't run into any traffic until I hit the beach traffic at the Bay Bridge. A bit expensive, and trying to get on the busses going back is a bit of a struggle, but I find that it is well worth it.

http://www.dartfirststate.com/information/race/

Also, I have had friends that have gone and parked in those in-promptu parking lots that seem to crop up on race day. They walk a bit, but they don't have to go through the torture of getting out of the parking lot. But I've never done that myself.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    From DC it's about 2 hours. Not difficult. Take Route 50/301 through Annapolis across the Bay Bridge. Once on the "Eastern Shore", as it's called, there are numerous small roads across to Dover. Suggest getting a good map of Maryland/Deleware.

The place is usually pretty packed so I would suggest leaving early. The only rub will come returning to DC. The beach traffic heading back home on Sunday afternoon really clogs up the bridge over the Chesapeake.

As you start planning, let me know if you need any refinement in your plans.

Thanks for the info, we have already booked for the race anyway, I like the bus idea actually especially if you have trouble getting out the car parks, the race is at 1.30pm so we would have to leave at around 7am then I think, are there plenty of hotels in the area, may be worth going down late on the saturday and getting a hotel for the night, I know in the immediate facility will be difficult but a few miles away may be an option
    Mystery strikes again!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not sure about the hotels, since I've never done that. I would imagine what hotels there are in Dover will be booked. Outside of Dover there isn't too much, mostly a rural farming area to the west of the track. You might try some of the hotels over near the beach on the eastern side. Probably the closest would be Rehobeth Beach, but you might try some of the towns up the coast from there. There will probabaly be available rooms, but remember that you will be in a beach area during June.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    One year a friend of mine actually booked a room in Ocean City and stayed for two extra days to enjoy the beach. Not a bad idea if you have the time to spare.
    "You win some, lose some, and wreck some." - Dale Earnhardt