Thread: Emigration

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Emigration

Would you?

Have you?

Where would/did you go?
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    I have — sort of, as I don't class moving from Britain to Germany as truly 'emigrating'.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I plan to, again. I hope to get a job in Europe somewhere starting in January.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Me, probably not. However, my dad did around 38 years ago in 1973. He had been declined a position in the Mauritian police force for being too skinny and had been told he needed to bulk up before they would let him in. He applied for a job to train as a doctor in England which was advertised in a local job center. He got the job, moved to England one Saturday and started medical school the following Wednesday. The rest I suppose history and I really can't see him ever moving back to Mauritius now either. If nothing else he would miss his beloved football team too much.
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    I remembering reading somewhere that on average 9 out of 10 people end up living within 200kms of where they were born. Me, I'm currently living about 3,000kms from where I was born but am still in the same country! :

I wouldn't mind emigrating somewhere warm right about now
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    I like the idea and would love to one day, pending getting my finances sorted out and discovering what I want to do with my life Even if not permanently, I would like to go various places, even for a year or two or whatever. I guess the clock is ticking before I will be too old to get a working holiday visa....

My brother has moved out to Adelaide, he has been there for nearly three years now and has a great life, good job, overall I think far better than here, especially with the outdoor lifestyle, he has no need to worry about whether to switch to winter tyres or not

But then again I have always been the most patriotic of my family (despite also being the furthest travelled) so not really sure I could leave forever even if I do hate the cold.... Having a way of obtaining insulin whilst abroad would be my main concern.

What's got you thinking, Sonic?
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    I guess I come from a family of emigrants...
    My father's parents emigrated from Spain to Ireland, my parents emigrated from the UK to Bahrain, Turkey (where I was born), Australia and finally to Spain, and I emigrated first to the UK (further studies and first employment) and then -via Austria- to Germany.
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Next summer, I plan on going to Prague. I also would like to visit cities in the countries that border the Czech Republic (Germany, Austria, Poland, Hungary, and Slovakia). This would be my first time being outside of the United States, as I've lived in southern California my whole life, and have visited Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, Colorado, New York, Pennsylvania, and Washington D.C. I would be going to the Czech Republic because my older brother is working as on an internship as a foreign diplomat and will be temporarily stationed there for a while.

I'm intrigued with visiting Prague because of how unique the city is; I'm a fan of Full Metal Alchemist, and I've been told that Prague looks like the fictional city that that anime takes place in.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    My career is here, and although I could technically do what I do anywhere, it would mean going back to square one and building up a customer base again, so I'm not going anywhere. That said, I can definitely see myself retiring to Mexico to be near my wife's family. Other than that I think I could live in Spain. I love Spain.
    ¿Quién es el que anda aquí?

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE
    My brother has moved out to Adelaide, he has been there for nearly three years now and has a great life, good job, overall I think far better than here, especially with the outdoor lifestyle, he has no need to worry about whether to switch to winter tyres or not
    The biggest concern with an outdoor lifestyle in Australia is probably skin cancer.