It is easy to be critical of a driver when a manuever goes wrong. Drivers rarely intend to hit someone, especially at high speed. There are exceptions like TGF and Ruebens. TGF expected Ruebens to fold as he would have when they were both Ferrari drivers.
The thing is once a driver has committed to make a move it is almost always too late to back out of it if it is going wrong. There is not time plus you are on the extreme edge. This is something former drivers understand.
In my nine years of racing I only hit people twice, both at slow corners. One was a car that should have been lapping me and I was trying to pass. I was totally under him and he just took his normal line. I couldn't stop. He was so slow he didn't even know he had been hit and I broke my nosecone.
The other time I did a banzai passing move under braking
on a car of equal performance. We touched but just. Niether car had marks but I took his rear deck off!
Both were in pro races.
Had a few close calls. Almost hit George Follmer's Lola. Turns out I was faster in a slow corner. Then we hit the straight !!!!!!!!!