Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It is easy to be critical of a driver when a manuever goes wrong. Drivers rarely intend to hit someone, especially at high speed. There are exceptions like TGF and Ruebens. TGF expected Ruebens to fold as he would have when they were both Ferrari drivers.
    The thing is once a driver has committed to make a move it is almost always too late to back out of it if it is going wrong. There is not time plus you are on the extreme edge. This is something former drivers understand.
    In my nine years of racing I only hit people twice, both at slow corners. One was a car that should have been lapping me and I was trying to pass. I was totally under him and he just took his normal line. I couldn't stop. He was so slow he didn't even know he had been hit and I broke my nosecone.
    The other time I did a banzai passing move under braking
    on a car of equal performance. We touched but just. Niether car had marks but I took his rear deck off!
    Both were in pro races.
    Had a few close calls. Almost hit George Follmer's Lola. Turns out I was faster in a slow corner. Then we hit the straight !!!!!!!!!

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    I like the new rules against unfair drivers.

And, no racing in the pitlane will be permitted, hear hear Lewis and Alonslo.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Drifter
    The thing is once a driver has committed to make a move it is almost always too late to back out of it if it is going wrong. There is not time plus you are on the extreme edge. This is something former drivers understand.
    Good to have a racers perspective, and hopefully this is where the drivers on the stewards panel will continue to be able to help.
    From an armchair I think there are two other things to consider.
    I know it's an often cited example but Arnoux v Villeneuve showed two drivers on the edge and committed, but at the same time they showed each other respect and gave each other racing room. Their first intent wasnt to block, but to race.
    Also there is the fact that the current cars could have been designed to prevent overtaking. Until that is addressed effectively, and I don't mean with gimmicks like adjustable wings and KERS, there will always be a greater likelihood of incidents.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    Good to have a racers perspective, and hopefully this is where the drivers on the stewards panel will continue to be able to help.
    From an armchair I think there are two other things to consider.
    I know it's an often cited example but Arnoux v Villeneuve showed two drivers on the edge and committed, but at the same time they showed each other respect and gave each other racing room. Their first intent wasnt to block, but to race.
    Also there is the fact that the current cars could have been designed to prevent overtaking. Until that is addressed effectively, and I don't mean with gimmicks like adjustable wings and KERS, there will always be a greater likelihood of incidents.
    And more recently the "riding mower" incident on the last lap between Kubinski, and Massa, contesting second place. For the last 1/4 of that lap they pushed each other on and off the track, and, grass. RK did most the pushing (defending) and Massa spent as much time on the grass as he did the track. Massa was really game, and kept his foot in it, but could not complete the pass, and only got a podium for it.
    2008, or '07. I can’t remember the track but I think it was a little damp, and the grass was wet.
    May the forza be with you