Thread: Total Recall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Total Recall

Kawasaki recalls new ZX-10R - UPDATED

By Andy Downes -
    New bikes
    13 December 2010 Kawasaki has issued what it is calling a ‘technical hold’ on ALL new ZX-10Rs in America but hasn’t revealed why. Kawasaki America has ordered all bikes sold and delivered to be sent back.

UPDATE: No UK bike are affected by the Kawasaki recall issued on the new ZX-10R superbike in America as none have yet been delivered either to dealers or customers. UK deliveries will begin in January. It's not known at this stage if the recall even affects European specification bikes or if this recall will affect delivery times scheduled for the New Year.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    From visor down
    Well Kawasaki called me yesterday. I own one (2011 ZX10R) I am in the U.S.
    They want to buy my bike back ( full refund ) or, ----- I can ride it / keep it and get a new motor when the motor can be built and shipped to the closest dealer for an exchange. BUT...... what?, wait, there is MORE! ...... And all I have to do is keep the bike UNDER 6000 RPM's "at all times" if I wa...nt to keep it!

When I asked " so if I go over 6000 rpms is the motor going to blow up and cut my legs off? The Kawasaki guy said "this is not, NOT a safety issue.

Kawasaki said an email is coming to all the purchasers shortly. Kawasaki also said less than 2 dozen people took delivery before the TECH HOLD nationwide.

I think I want them to send me a new motor that I can keep in my garage so when the motor on the NEW 2011 ZX10R does go KABLAMMY.... I have a spare.
    So no fix just give the bike back or keep it and never go over 6000 rpm. WOW!

AND... AND NO EXPLINATION of what is wrong with the motor! I don't like how this is turning out.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Top Speed

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Hey, a free, spare engine. And who doesn't like free engines?

I guess when the engine that's in it does go, unless it totally grenades itself, you'll then be able to build/modify it as you see fit. But this has got to be a bad deal for the value of the bike. For how long will Kawasaki cover the installation cost of the new engine?
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith