Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kindle

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico
    I considered getting one for Kirst but she is a creature of habit and doesn't see the appeal, she thinks the smell of the paper and physically turning the pages is part of the joy of reading.. :/

If they were backlit for reading at night and you could surf the net I'd consider getting one for myself... tablet pc?
    To be honest whilst you can surf the web on them it's not ideal. It is purely meant as an e-reader and is fantastic at that. The e-ink displays are so fantastic you only need as much light to read on them as you would with a book.

Caroline was exactly as you were describing, very sceptical and like most readers she's used to the feeling of turning a page and feeling a book in her hands. The Kindle itself with a kindle case feels VERY booky. If anyone here is umming and ahhing about buying one for themselve or the wife/girlfriend then just do it! It really is a great product and one that is specifically designed to deliver a good reading experience rather than an iPad or a phone which is a jack of all trades.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The fact that it is not back lit is very appealing to me. The 'pages' are very, well, page like. So much so that I have more than once lost track of what I was doing and went to try and physically turn the page, instead of pressing the button. The only thing that I don't like is the physical feeling of getting near to the end of a book. The fact that you pass the middle and can feel a conclusion drawing near just isn't the same.

Some Kindles can be bought with a cover and a built in light.
    Flonkkkk.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    To be honest whilst you can surf the web on them it's not ideal. It is purely meant as an e-reader and is fantastic at that. The e-ink displays are so fantastic you only need as much light to read on them as you would with a book.

Caroline was exactly as you were describing, very sceptical and like most readers she's used to the feeling of turning a page and feeling a book in her hands. The Kindle itself with a kindle case feels VERY booky. If anyone here is umming and ahhing about buying one for themselve or the wife/girlfriend then just do it! It really is a great product and one that is specifically designed to deliver a good reading experience rather than an iPad or a phone which is a jack of all trades.
    Erm.....are you reading my thoughts again?
    Flonkkkk.

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    If anyone here is umming and ahhing about buying one for themselve or the wife/girlfriend then just do it

rather than an iPad
    shh
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donKey jote
    Treating yourself and the missus?

If so there are some free books here

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Is the whole point of Kindle saving trees (amongst other things)?

Sorry-a bit slow on this one..
    9-23-2006 Cadey-Lee Deacon,The Rocket Pub, New Parks, Leicester: Little one, through some miracle of reincarnation may you be given a second chance at a full life. You\'ll not soon leave our thoughts and prayers ;(

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline
    Erm.....are you reading my thoughts again?
    Dan is going to strikeout again. :
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tannat
    Anyone agree with me?
    I would have until about a week ago. I've been looking at the Kindle for a while, but ended up getting myself an iPad which, inevitably, has the iBooks app available as well as a Kindle app giving me two book stores to pick from.

I love being able to browse all the books and get the ones I want within seconds. Prices vary from free to fairly expensive. I'm not sure how prices of £10+ can be justified given that there is no physical product to produce and transport but still... Some of the books available are "enhanced" editions i.e. include video which is neat, and I can see that developing more.

I'm still getting used to the reading experience! It does seem strange to be reading a book but not have a book in my hands, but I suspect that feeling will fade in time.

It's difficult to imagine not having books on a shelf in years to come, but then not so long ago I didn't think that my LP, and then CD, collection would be redundant!
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    I haven't read a 'paper' book in over 10 years.
    I've got 1000's of books resident on my home network.
    Gone from reading on the big monitor, to using a laptop, to now using a 64-bit tablet PC ... I can curl up on the sofa and turn the pages with my fingers.
    I do like Internet access while I read....I'm always using Google Earth and Street View and Image searches to complement my reading experiences.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I bought Caroline one a while back. She really likes it. I think it's a very neat bit of technology but I'm not a bookworm so I would say that
    You're more like a computer worm?
    I could really use a fish right now