Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: don meredith

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    two passes: one beautiful over the shoulder pass with the kind of grace missing from today

and then on the same drive, right at the goal line, a screaming bullet of a very short pass that could have been intercepted and returned for a TD, while he danced on the edge of the sidelines on his tiptoes at the flag.

Stunned, I was when he caught it and amazed at the timing. Again, the type of timing, route running and coordination, with the tiptoe dance, one seldom sees today. The ball was thrown as Lance made the cut with his back to Staubach, he spun around on a dime, and the incredible reaction to catch one of the most screaming passes ever from a short distance. That ball was thrown way too hard to be catchable, but he made the catch as though it was nothing.

rember one game where Lance went over the middle and his feet were knocked out from under him as he went up for the ball....as he was cartwheeling almost upside down he caught the ball, landed on his head and as he got up to run, but the referre was blowing the whistle, I think because he thought the pass had to be incomplete, or down by contact but the contact occurred before he touched the ball.....

to me, he was the example of the greatest receiver ever.......and the shame is that Bob Hayes did not have good hands, nothing like lance, cause I guess hayes dropped about 300 easy TD passes, maybe more.

Went to a Giants game with Don throwing in the old cotton bowl. Hayes caught two long td passes, but he dropped four more.....It was great, because don would go back a certain way and set, everyone knew he was going long to hayes. Crowd would go instantly silent as the ball left the hand for a couple of seconds---dead silence---.....and then there would be this moan or roar, depending on how hayes caught or did not catch the ball.
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markabilly
    two passes: one beautiful over the shoulder pass with the kind of grace missing from today

and then on the same drive, right at the goal line, a screaming bullet of a very short pass that could have been intercepted and returned for a TD, while he danced on the edge of the sidelines on his tiptoes at the flag.

Stunned, I was when he caught it and amazed at the timing. Again, the type of timing, route running and coordination, with the tiptoe dance, one seldom sees today. The ball was thrown as Lance made the cut with his back to Staubach, he spun around on a dime, and the incredible reaction to catch one of the most screaming passes ever from a short distance. That ball was thrown way too hard to be catchable, but he made the catch as though it was nothing.
    rember one game where Lance went over the middle and his feet were knocked out from under him as he went up for the ball....as he was cartwheeling almost upside down he caught the ball, landed on his head and as he got up to run, but the referre was blowing the whistle, I think because he thought the pass had to be incomplete, or down by contact but the contact occurred before he touched the ball.....

to me, he was the example of the greatest receiver ever.......and the shame is that Bob Hayes did not have good hands, nothing like lance, cause I guess hayes dropped about 300 easy TD passes, maybe more.

Went to a Giants game with Don throwing in the old cotton bowl. Hayes caught two long td passes, but he dropped four more.....It was great, because don would go back a certain way and set, everyone knew he was going long to hayes. Crowd would go instantly silent as the ball left the hand for a couple of seconds---dead silence---.....and then there would be this moan or roar, depending on how hayes caught or did not catch the ball.
    I'm impressed that you have such a high opinion of Alworth. It was common knowledge that Bob Hayes was referred to as the fastest man on the planet because he was a world champion in the 100 meter dash. Something you may not know is that Alworth was an AAU college champion in the 100 "yard" dash while competing in track at the University of Arkansas. Back then The 100 meter was run in international events and American Universities only ran the 100 yard dash. Alworth came out of Arkansas having produced a legitimate 9.4 sec 100 yard dash in competition. By the time he played for Dallas he was well past his prime which was still pretty ####ing good. "Bambi" was also recognized as possessing the best vertical leap in either league.

Another thing that I thought was rather odd (not being from the sticks) is when Lance Alworth graduated from college he was already married with two kids, which I guess at the time folk's back around Little Rock figured if you hadn't fathered any offspring by the time you were 19 you were either a g'awd-damn queer, you lost your nads in a hunting accident, or your cousins were doing what came naturally with men that weren’t direct relations

BTW I can't say that I remember the play you were referring to, but then again I can't remember **** that happened last week either

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaQ2S...eature=related
    May the forza be with you

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    td is the first play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An7d6l1TRjQ

Can not find the over the shoulder catch that got them down the field in the super bowl

on your link, at about 4.21 mark is an over the shoulder catch similar to it though

All the things about Lance always show only charger stuff, but I have heard that Lance still says that TD catch in the super bowl was the highlight of his career--a catch made against a pro bowl cornerback, that was looking to take it away

You are lucky Jones did not buy the chargers.....

as to being upside down, that play happenned in some game when he played for dallas, maybe even preseason, but never made the highlights for whatever reason

A few years ago, SI did a study about the differences in equipment and tracks and their impact on sprint times. They concluded if those factors were taken into consideration, hayes would still hold the 100 meter record by more than half of a second running with current shoes and tracks......

when lance came to dallas, he played with Bob, but both had lost a step or two....but imagine both playing side by side in their prime?

only problem was hayes did not have the grace, hands and route running ability of Bambi....to stop Hayes, teams developed the zone defense. To stop lance if he was on the same team as Bob, in their prime, well, I think a 45 might have slowed Lance....
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markabilly
    td is the first play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An7d6l1TRjQ

Can not find the over the shoulder catch that got them down the field in the super bowl

on your link, at about 4.21 mark is an over the shoulder catch similar to it though

All the things about Lance always show only charger stuff, but I have heard that Lance still says that TD catch in the super bowl was the highlight of his career--a catch made against a pro bowl cornerback, that was looking to take it away

You are lucky Jones did not buy the chargers.....

as to being upside down, that play happenned in some game when he played for dallas, maybe even preseason, but never made the highlights for whatever reason

A few years ago, SI did a study about the differences in equipment and tracks and their impact on sprint times. They concluded if those factors were taken into consideration, hayes would still hold the 100 meter record by more than half of a second running with current shoes and tracks......

when lance came to dallas, he played with Bob, but both had lost a step or two....but imagine both playing side by side in their prime?

only problem was hayes did not have the grace, hands and route running ability of Bambi....to stop Hayes, teams developed the zone defense. To stop lance if he was on the same team as Bob, in their prime, well, I think a 45 might have slowed Lance....
    There is just not very much video of him
    When Alworth was on the Chargers he was complimented by a possession receiver Gary "the ghost" Garrison.
    Check out his stats. He came out of a very good college passing program at San Diego State. Those two ran up a lot of yardage.
    John Hadl was a wing T quarterback in college and wasn't known as a passer out of Kansas, or Kansas St.
    Sid Gilman was quite an innovator, in the same vein as Don Coryell.
    Here is the only image I found of Lance Alworth and the touchdown pass in the Super bowl as a Cowboy

Actually I’d rather discuss That little tart Joey Heatherton.
    Back then, when I was in about 8th grade,
    Men my age now had the same kind of ruminations about her as I do about ailor: Fiona back when she was about 20 mokin:
    May the forza be with you