Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VkmSpouge
    Not a shock really with BMW entering the DTM in 2012, it would never make sense to have them do two separate european-based, international touring car championships.
    The DTM is much more suited to BMW's image. They will be racing against their biggest rivals, Audi and Mercedes-Benz. Plus, the DTM is actually run in a professional manner (IMO)
    Whats a uni?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I can't see them doing any form of touring car racing in the next few years beyond selling cars to privateers, for the simple fact that the entire NGTC concept in it's various forms is biased in favour of FWD.
    "Inside every fat person is a thin person dying for some chocolate."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philipbain
    Its hardly a shock that BMW have pulled thier final works team out of the WTCC, they have already committed to DTM for 2012 which makes sense, its where they should have been all along, I really can't think what they were doing in WTCC to begin with, there is very little / no overlap between the products of BMW and Seat / Chevy, whereas Audi and Mercedes are their natural competitors.
    However, the WTCC travels to more countries than the DTM does which gives them more bang for the buck. Their presence also helps each country's BMW importer with promotion and events.

I think they should be involved with both. But at least, they're actively building/upgrading cars for sale to privateers which is more than what other makes are doing.
    Supertouring Forever and Ever...

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    BMW don't need exposure though...it's not about getting people to know the brand, they already do. I doubt the WTCC sells many more cars for them.
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by I am evil Homer
    BMW don't need exposure though...it's not about getting people to know the brand, they already do. I doubt the WTCC sells many more cars for them.
    It's about brand image though. So people will associate them generally with motorsport, performance and prestige. One year out as a works team probably won't change that, but if they had 50 years out of course it would. Their image in relation to motorsport doesn't change on a yearly basis.

They're just realigning their global motorsport approaches. It doesn't mean to say they'll never be back, or that the DTM won't get any bigger and try to fill the void. (I hope not as the racing is awful).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndySpeed
    It's about brand image though. So people will associate them generally with motorsport, performance and prestige. One year out as a works team probably won't change that, but if they had 50 years out of course it would. Their image in relation to motorsport doesn't change on a yearly basis.

They're just realigning their global motorsport approaches. It doesn't mean to say they'll never be back, or that the DTM won't get any bigger and try to fill the void. (I hope not as the racing is awful).
    IMO, the BMW brand is much more suited to DTM and GT. The brands they face are more important than beating semi-works SEAT's and Chevrolet.
    Whats a uni?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is possibly true - the BMW M3 E92 is a bit of a stunner:

http://www.autosport.com/gallery/pho...d/13263690/s/1

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    ALMS and LMS gets them more exposure and positions the brand perfectly. Being messed about by the FIA in WTCC doesn't so they're moving on.
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyc85
    One more nail in the coffin for the WTCC!

And people like to slag the BTCC off for not having many factory teams!
    Can't argue with that anymore!
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Who would've thought back in 2005 that Chevrolet would be the last factory team standing in the WTCC?
    Please ignore ALL of the above....