Page 7 of 492 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    When me and my brother were kids we were only taken to the football when it was was a 'Kids for a quid' match. More than 20 years later my club is still doing kids for a quid and I still go. It costs a bit more than a quid though.
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skc
    Taking my lad to see Arsnal tomorrow for £10 a ticket. Very reasonable
    Bargain

Even for crappy Elland Rd it was £30 a pop

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Bit unfair to compare one of those 'deal' games to a normal fixture. Standard Arse tickets are stupid money and you need to be a member of the masons to get hold of one
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Granted not for Emirates but I usually get them for away Northern fixtures

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Hey all,

I'm a typical American who never gave much thought to soccer, but I married a Mexican girl, and follow Mexico in the World Cup, etc. Needless to say I became intrigued watching Chicharito this past year, and when he signed with Manchester United, I started watching English Football.

I'm hooked!

It doesn't hurt that Chicharito has just had a fabulous start, but now I find myself wanting to catch other games, too. Really and truly, I'm just fascinated by all of the different leagues, and competitions, and various cups. I love the idea of promotion and relegation. Maybe American football should copy it.

I do have a couple of questions though. I understand basically the different leagues, with Premier, Championship, League 1, and League 2. I'd equate it to the same as baseball here with the Majors, and then AAA, AA, & A leagues here. I also understand the FA Cup is a competition of all of the clubs in England.

So Man U has it's next FA cup match against Crawley Town, which is a 5th division Conference team. Are they Professionals? If so How many levels of Pro Soccer are there, and what would these guys make in the lower divisions. I am just a little bit amazed that a country the size of England can support so many pro teams.
    ¿Quién es el que anda aquí?

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexamateo
    So Man U has it's next FA cup match against Crawley Town, which is a 5th division Conference team. Are they Professionals? If so How many levels of Pro Soccer are there, and what would these guys make in the lower divisions. I am just a little bit amazed that a country the size of England can support so many pro teams.
    For all intents and purposes the four top tiers in the football ladder, which is 92 clubs are professional, some clubs in the conference and lower are semi-professional, and leagues lower than about level 7 tend to be all amateur (very very rough guide indeed).

There are 23 levels of clubs in England which amounts to more than 7000 all up; all of which could potentially find themselves in the FA Cup (though in practice its highly unlikely indeed).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English..._league_system
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I quite like the fact that the FA Cup only costs about £70 to enter. I only found out this a couple of years ago.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    News just in:
    Torr£$ ha$ gone to Ch£l$ki for £50m just minutes before the transfer window closed - says that money isn't what drew him.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    For all intents and purposes the four top tiers in the football ladder, which is 92 clubs are professional, some clubs in the conference and lower are semi-professional, and leagues lower than about level 7 tend to be all amateur (very very rough guide indeed).

There are 23 levels of clubs in England which amounts to more than 7000 all up; all of which could potentially find themselves in the FA Cup (though in practice its highly unlikely indeed).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English..._league_system
    That is a lot of teams. Thanks for the link. So if Crawley were to somehow tie Man U, would they then go play at Crowley's 4996 capacity stadium? That'd be a sight.
    ¿Quién es el que anda aquí?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    If Crawley Town did manage to get a draw at Old Trafford they would replay at Crawley's ground in the first instance. If it was still a draw at the end of 90 minutes of the replay it would go to extra time and if there is still no winner only then it would go to penalties.

A lower league teams' dream ticket at this stage is to get a big Premier League club away. Even though a team like Crawley would get a capacity crowd at home the revenues generated from an away match would be much more. Compare 5000 tickets at say 95% of whatever Crawley charge compared to 5% of 70,000 tickets at Old Trafford at the much higher prices they charge.