R. Sociedad-Barca 3-1
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts

Re: I will probably be banned for this but... Footie Thread

balls
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

Wow. Motivation seems to be an issue with the Barca players. Love watching Messi play but general play yesterday was poor. No other word for it.

La Liga may be slipping away.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Euro 2016 Draw

A: Netherlands, Kazakhstan, Iceland, Latvia, Turkey, Czech Republic

B: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Andorra, Cyprus, Wales, Israel, Belgium

C: Spain, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Belarus, Slovakia, Ukraine

D: Germany, Gibraltar, Georgia, Scotland, Poland, Republic of Ireland

E: England, San Marino, Lithuania, Estonia, Slovenia, Switzerland

F: Greece, Faroe Islands, Northern Ireland, Finland, Romania, Hungary

G: Russia, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Montenegro, Austria, Sweden

H: Italy, Malta, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Norway, Croatia

I: Portugal, Albania, Armenia, Serbia, Denmark

My views on the draw.

Group A - Netherlands have a chance of pretty much winning 10 of 10. While Czech's and Turkey will battle for the qualication spot and play off spot. Iceland should be 4th, with Latvia and Kazakhstan 5th and 6th

Group B - Belgium & Bosnia in the two spots. Wales & Israel battling for the play off. Cyprus and Andorra.

Group C - Spain & Ukraine against comfortably through I think. Slovakia to make the play offs, while the Belarus and Macedonia battle for 4th and Luxembourg should be 6th despite recent improvements.

Group D - Germany are going to win 10 of 10. Then I think Rep. Ireland will squeak 2nd just ahead of Poland and Scotland wont quite have enough and finish 4th. Georgia might grab a draw at home to one of these nations but should finish ahead of Gibraltar. Who will be tougher than San Marino/Andorra & Faroes for example but still might get a trashing by Germany.

Group E - (trying not to be biased ). I do think England will win the group, probably with a 8 wins 2 draws record. I think we might slip in Slovenia and Switzerland are always tough. Switzerland to join us and Slovenia to pip Estonia to 3rd. Lithuania 5th and San Marino leaking goals again. I want England to achieve our first 10-0 win since 1964 against San Marino this time.

Group F - (Oh no Gadjo Hungary again.... ). Anyway I see Greece winning this group and then anyone of 4 getting 2nd and the play off place. I will go for Hungary 2nd, Romania 3rd just over Northern Ireland and Finland 5th. Faroe Islands should be easy to brush aside.

Group G - Sweden to pip Russia to top, but both to go through. Play off to Austria just about after edging out Montenegro and Moldova and Liechtenstein at the bottom.

Group H - Italy and Croatia easily. Bulgaria and Norway then Azerbaijan and Malta.

Group I - (Minus France) Portugal then Denmark getting the automatic places and Serbia getting a Play Off. Armenia and Albania rounding out the group.

Should be less nerve racking this time hopefully.

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts

I made my predictions before I read yours Steve, either football is way to predictable, or great minds think alike. Group F was the only real difference I had to what you proposed.

A. Nedtherlands way ahead of Turkey and the Czechs (I went for Turkey, but wont be surprised if it is the other way around) Iceland a creditable 4th with Latvia and the Kazaks 5 and 6

b. Belgium from Bosnnia with Wales 3rd ahead of Israel with Cyprus and Andorra

c. Spain through first, but not as easily through as is usually the case, Ukraine next, followed by Macedonia and Slovakia (or vice-versa) with Belarus and Luxembourg

D. Germasny cofortable ahead of Rep Ireland, then Poland, an improving Scotland and a gap back to Georgia and Gibraltar way off the pace (I would dearly love to see the Scots at least make a play-off)

E. England should be comfortable, as long as they dont draw too many Slovenia and Switzerland will be 2-3 or 3-2, with Estonia and Lithuania and Sam Marino in 6th

F. Hardest group to predict with 5 of the six teams able to finish in the top 2. Some logic would say that the order might be Greece, Finland, Romania, Hungary, Nth Ireland, but these five might just as easily be completely reversed all that is certain is that the poor little Faeros will be 6th

G. Sweden to head Russia with Austria 3rd then Montenegro, Moldova and Liechtenstein

H. Italy ahead of Croatia with Norway and Bulgaria trying for a play off spot with Azerbaijan and Malta bringing up the rear.

I. Portugal should head Denmark, but maybe not. 3rd for Serbia then Armenia and Albania

Yup.

I think most team sports are quite predictable in a way.

These qualifiers are going to be a task of doing the basics. Not many shocks, just a means to get to the finals. That said I still enjoy international football, World Cup especially with the clashing of styles.

With the increased number of countries playing football in Europe (54), its always on the cards that they needed to increase numbers in the finals. Otherwise really you get 12 guaranteed qualifiers every time with 5-10 battling for the remainder. At least now countries like Scotland, Wales, Hungary, Romania etc.... have a better shot at it.

Important that the "bigger" nations don't just think of themselves. For a lot of countries they have a chance to make finals and improve.

On a side not. Its weird that France are going into Group I to play scheduled games, despite them not counting.

I mean now on the way to the Finals they play friendlies against Serbia, Armenia & Albania. The point was to play something like competitive games in the build up. Surely actual friendlies v non Europe nations would be more challenging. Most Euro hosts play top African or South American sides.

Anyway all very strange.

Strange also that France are the first to benefit from this considering Platini is UEFA president.

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    On a side not. Its weird that France are going into Group I to play scheduled games, despite them not counting.

I mean now on the way to the Finals they play friendlies against Serbia, Armenia & Albania. The point was to play something like competitive games in the build up. Surely actual friendlies v non Europe nations would be more challenging. Most Euro hosts play top African or South American sides.

Anyway all very strange.

Strange also that France are the first to benefit from this considering Platini is UEFA president.
    Yer the timing of this idea is strangely beneficial to the French, but.....

On the whole I think it is a good idea, as often the host nation is under-prepared. It kinda depends on how the other teams in the group view the France matches, if they do what I would do as a manager and play a reserve strength team against France giving the French an easy win and resting your own best players, then France will not benefit much. But if they view it as a group game and play their top 11, then the French will be better prepared for the Euro's

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts

Wow. Motivation seems to be an issue with the Barca players. Love watching Messi play but general play yesterday was poor. No other word for it.

La Liga may be slipping away.
    I get that feeling too

Unless Atletico get on form again (they lost 0-3 too!) and beat Real next week, and Barca win away at the Bernabeu, this year is gone..Surprisingly, I had not many hopes for CL this year but they might go further there.
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts

Re: Euro 2016 Draw

Group F - (Oh no Gadjo Hungary again.... ). Anyway I see Greece winning this group and then anyone of 4 getting 2nd and the play off place. I will go for Hungary 2nd, Romania 3rd just over Northern Ireland and Finland 5th. Faroe Islands should be easy to brush aside.
    Romania managed a 2-2 at Budapest playing like $h1t, then beat them easily 3-0 at Bucharest... and after that Hungary managed to concede 8 goals against the Netherlands in a single match