Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Stars of the Future

Time to discuss who we all think could be great prospects in the future for Formula One.

We know we currently have an epic line up of current superstars;
    Alonso
    Hamilton
    Vettel
    Kubica
    Webber
    Button
    Massa
    Rosberg
    Schumacher
    Barrichello

As well as some good rookies that could go far;
    Kobayashi
    Hulkenberg (?)
    Petrov (?)

But I think there is a whole host of drivers that could be big things in the future of Formula One. Here are my picks, in no particular order;

Sergio Perez (Mexico)-Backed by Telmex, this guy looks like he can be extremely quick at times. He has earned himself a seat at Sauber for next year, and with the speed and money as a package, no wonder Sauber has plucked for this kid. Currently suffers from the inexperience of youth on the occasion and makes silly mistakes, but this is to be expected and I believe he has a solid future in F1.

Esteban Gutierrez (Mexico)-Being a mexican F1 fan waiting for a mexican F1 prospect to come along must be like waiting for a bus. Nothing for ages and then 2 pop out at once. This guy has even more potential that Perez in my view, Destroyed everyone in GP3, showed some pace and fighting spirit in F3 and won in Formula BMW. At just 19 he is also very young, but considering his youth seems rather mature in racing terms. Someone to look out for as he takes on GP2 next year with Lotus-ART.

Jules Bianchi (France)-French FRenault champ in 2007, Entered F3 Euroseries the following year and finished 3rd. Won that championship last year and claimed 3rd in GP2 this year, but it could have been more in a troubled year for ART. I believe he has great speed and great potential, and is certainly one of France's next big things in motorsport. Look out for this guy in GP2 next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him champion.

Sam Bird (Great Britain)-Never stood out much in the lower categories until Macau F3 GP last year where he finished 3rd. This year in GP2 he has impressed with great racing spirit and skills, and could have done better than 5th in the championship had it not been for bad luck. Next season is going to be bital for Bird in GP2 next year assuming he has a ride, but this guy has got a bit of potential.

Robert Wickens (Canada)-2nd in Formula 2 last year, 2nd in GP3 this year. Though I dont believe this guy is a new Vettel or Hamilton, he has potential to be a solid F1 driver. He needs a good chance in GP2 though, but Canada's best bet in the immediate future.

Alexander Rossi (United States)-4th in GP3 this year and could have done better, certainly the United States' best chance of an F1 driver in the next few years, But he needs to get a goood GP2 drive and then impress to have a chance.

Nico Muller (Switzerland)-Only 18 and went straight from Swiss FRenault to GP3 and duly finished 3rd. Proof that he has quality and potential and one to look out for in the next few years.

Mikhail Aleshin (Russia)-This guy has speed and potential and is WSbR champion of 2010. Seems to be very consistent which can only be a good thing.

Daniel Ricciardo (Australia)-WEC FRenault champ in 2008, British F3 champ 2009, 2nd in WSbR in 2010. Webber watch out, you may have a fellow Aussie on the grid in the next few years and ther eis no doubt this guy is an exciting prospect.

Esteban Guerrieri (Argentina)-Already 25 Guerrieri has been all over the place in recent years. He could have walked the WSbR title had he had the chance to complete all rounds, but blistering performances, at Silverstone in particular, indicate raw speed and talent. However his experience advantage over his competitors may have been a large factor in this, and I think finding an F1 drive will be very very hard indeed for the Argentine. Still, he has potential and just needs to keep impressing and we will see where he ends up.

Brendon Hartley (New Zealand)-dropped by the Red Bull program, Hartley has endured a poor 2010. Are his F1 prospects now over? or will he get a good drive and a chance to shine? Time will tell with this big name young driver.

Jean Eric-Vergne (France)-Another potential french star. British F3 champion in his debut season this year, consistency and speed has meant he walked to that title in 2010. Definatly and star of the future, other drivers better watch out.

Paul Di Resta (Great Britain)-DTM star, potential star of F1 with Force India? the rumours have been here all season, and there is doubt in his speed and consistency. An F1 drive looks likely in the future.

Discuss. (and add any drivers if you wish)
    Congratulations Sebastian Vettel. Champion of the season of seasons.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    I'd remove Massa, Barrichello and possibly Button and Webber from the "superstars" list. As for the rookies, maybe Petrov could use some more time, while I'm still inclined to belive that Hülk is a good candidate to become a champion one day, but I wouldn't rule out Alguersuari. He has made his share of mistakes, but he has also done several great drives, and he has done a better job than Buemi during the season.

Regarding possible future drivers, I'd pick Ricciardo, Pérez, Bird and maybe -just maybe- Gutiérrez. Quite frankly, I don't think that the others will have the speed or the chance to do something great in Formula One. Di Resta has been around there for too long, so I guess that if he had been THAT great, he would have got a seat by now.

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Gina-Maria & Mick Schumacher ?
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13
    I'd remove Massa, Barrichello and possibly Button and Webber from the "superstars" list. As for the rookies, maybe Petrov could use some more time, while I'm still inclined to belive that Hülk is a good candidate to become a champion one day, but I wouldn't rule out Alguersuari. He has made his share of mistakes, but he has also done several great drives, and he has done a better job than Buemi during the season.

Regarding possible future drivers, I'd pick Ricciardo, Pérez, Bird and maybe -just maybe- Gutiérrez. Quite frankly, I don't think that the others will have the speed or the chance to do something great in Formula One. Di Resta has been around there for too long, so I guess that if he had been THAT great, he would have got a seat by now.
    Interesting viewpoints; I dont think Di Resta would be a world beater if he got a Force India drive, but I wouldn't be surprised if he at least challenged Sutil.

Just to clarify re. the list of superstars; You're right, Massa and Barrichello aren't as highly rated as the others in that list but they're in there because they're 2 of the big names of the current Formula One field. Schumacher is the same, because obviously, he hasn't been as good as the other major drivers this year.
    Congratulations Sebastian Vettel. Champion of the season of seasons.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    I have a feeling STR will go with Ricciardo & Vergne sometime in the future.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    I think Wickens and Rossi will do WSR next year, not GP2. Both need to be at the sharp end of the field of course to make an impression.

But generally among drivers, who are still in feeder series, the most promising names to me are Ricciardo, Vergne and Gutiérrez. I'm not sure, what to make of Bottas and Bianchi yet - both were a bit more highly rated after 2009.

2011 season in GP2 will be crucial for many drivers. We had a good bunch of promising rookies this year (Bianchi, Bird, Turvey, Vietoris, Pic, also wouldn't count out Ericsson), who need to be in the right team next year to challenge for the title. But not all of them can do that simultaneously, so will be exciting to see, who will be able to rise above others!

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    Eduardo Motaro (sp?) looks pretty handy with a Euro F3 title and 2 x Macau F3 titles, but the man himslef doesn't expect to be seen in F1 without some serious backing, something he doesn't have at the moment which is a pity
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinho
    Eduardo Motaro (sp?) looks pretty handy with a Euro F3 title and 2 x Macau F3 titles, but the man himslef doesn't expect to be seen in F1 without some serious backing, something he doesn't have at the moment which is a pity
    Mortara is quite experienced and "old" (26 I think) already. In 2008 he got beaten by Hülkenberg in Euro F3 and in GP2 last year was beaten by team-mate Pérez despite having more racing experience in general. IMO he is a bit like van der Garde, Petrov, Pantano, etc. Guys, who might develop into half-decent drivers after having lots of racing years behind them, but will never be a serious force at the top of the motorsports.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    In other words bound for a decent career in the Le Mans series.
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
    might be a few years premature but i would keep a serious eye on tom blomqvist son of rally legend stig,hes just won the very competitive british formula renault title in what i believe to be his first full season in single seat racing.sticking with sons of rally drivers carlos sainz jnr has just had a great season in formula bmw culminating with victory in macau last weekend,i believe he has red bull backing so with there names, some funding and obvious talent i would be surprised not to see one if not both in f1 one day.