Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 5 Year Plan

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts

The 5 Year Plan

So, we have finally reached the end of the famous 5 year plan.

How did it go?

My Tuppence:
    --------------
    From the start in 2006, he was a fair bit further off the pace than I expected. He was MILES off the pace in Monte-Carlo. A concern. But some good flashes came along, such as ending day 1 of Mexico 6th with much improved pace. Then beating local dude Companc to 8th and wining a stage in Argentina. Would have hoped for more in 2006, but it was early days so just fine.

2007 with a latest model Focus brought only a slight improvement in pace in the first half of the season. At this time Colin Mcrae declared that so far, there was no greatness shown, and didn't believe he WOULD make it, but thought he still COULD. That was about right it seemed.

Each year, a good step forward has been made. I was always just fine with that. The guy is still very young. But it seems he was always just short of where it would be reasonable to expect him to be. But as long as he is going forwards it was fine.

Then came this year. I was very concerned about how much more speed could come but was excited to see him drawing nearer to the pace again. My goodness, what an awful disappointment. He actually was slower than in 2009! The car definitely seems further behind, but that just doesn't seem to be a good enough explanation at all. And he is STILL outpaced by not exactly amazing Henning Solberg. What a great disappointment to see he was further from the pace at just about every rally than before.

I always kept the faith in the guy but am really struggling now. My main reason for having an interest in WRC these days (I used to be a die-hard fan, but not these days) is to see how he gets on. I still so much want to see him succeed. When there was a poll of favourite drivers a few months ago, I was one of the 2 to vote for him! But even I am now thinking maybe he should leave the WRC and become a Stobart truck driver. I've seen the Stobart documentaries on TV, and think that job would be really suited to a consistent driver such as him.

OVERALL VERDICT AFTER 5 YEARS: NOT A SUCCESS (SADLY)

What do you think?
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    haha
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It all comes down to raw talent. Wilson can steer a car, but he's just not gifted enough to ever make a mark in the sport.

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    He is being groomed to take over M-Sport is a few years, just want some practice first.
    Lets see if he still is UKs fastest WRC driver after 2011, maybe he still is ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't think he has what it takes but he gave it a try, a long one....

It may be time to move over, or maybe the new cars would suit him best!
    There WAS nothing like rallying, Superrally is a joke!

LW Master!!!:champion:

Liked 1,779 Times in 421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty
    But even I am now thinking maybe he should leave the WRC and become a Stobart truck driver. I've seen the Stobart documentaries on TV, and think that job would be really suited to a consistent driver such as him.

What do you think?
    I think that your last chapter is the best chapter I have red in this forum :-)
    Colins Crest = Möldri Mätas

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty
    What do you think?
    Well done Betty. Just when we thought the season was over and we are to be spared any more mindless attacks on young Wilson, you start an entirely new thread dedicated to him.

The lad's inclusion in the Stobart team is a private matter for those involved and absolutely no business of anyone on this forum.

Those who attack him from the anonymity of a nom de plume do so for two reasons only;
    1. Jealousy.
    2. A general lack of intelligence prompting them to write the kind of drivel they believe will earn them populace support.

Tuppence? You've overstated the value several fold!
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sollitt
    Well done Betty. Just when we thought the season was over and we are to be spared any more mindless attacks on young Wilson, you start an entirely new thread dedicated to him.

The lad's inclusion in the Stobart team is a private matter for those involved and absolutely no business of anyone on this forum.

Those who attack him from the anonymity of a nom de plume do so for two reasons only;
    1. Jealousy.
    2. A general lack of intelligence prompting them to write the kind of drivel they believe will earn them populace support.

Tuppence? You've overstated the value several fold!
    what an odd post from sollitt!

Wilson does add to the WRC IMO as he is another car and is quite good to watch on the slower stuff, his car control is fine, but he still drives like he doesnt trust what the car will do, watch him on any fast stuff and he does more faffing about to set the car up before corners than any of the top guys, he isnt a bad driver and he will never be a great one but had he been around 15 years earlier I think his style would have suited the GpA cars more
    Deep down I'm a sound bloke!

To Sollitt,

Wilson jr is competing in a popular sport, a sport whose business is to promote cars and sponsors. Wilson jr is promoting a Ford and Stobart. This my friend is also called communication. Therefore by definition he is FAIR GAME to be criticized. Some drivers will be hailed, others disliked. He is generally disliked on this forum.

If his business is to remain private, as you put it, then perhaps Wilson jr should not put himself in the spotlight.

just my rightly evaluated two cents.

regards

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffi
    To Sollitt,

Wilson jr is competing in a popular sport, a sport whose business is to promote cars and sponsors. Wilson jr is promoting a Ford and Stobart. This my friend is also called communication. Therefore by definition he is FAIR GAME to be criticized. Some drivers will be hailed, others disliked. He is generally disliked on this forum.

If his business is to remain private, as you put it, then perhaps Wilson jr should not put himself in the spotlight.

just my rightly evaluated two cents.

regards
    Are you sure it's popular though???

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???