Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic
    Fu_k! Those are some HOT laps. I've got some serious practise to do

Challenge accepted!
    Challenged failed! Lol. Spent all last night hammering round Albert Park on TT. Best lap? 1m24.8s. Epic fail! Is it really that much better with a wheel? I'm on the ps3 controller ATM.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic
    Challenged failed! Lol. Spent all last night hammering round Albert Park on TT. Best lap? 1m24.8s. Epic fail! Is it really that much better with a wheel? I'm on the ps3 controller ATM.
    Haven't played this game with a controller yet, but the wheel HAS to be better. There's just so much more precision. When I play online against people who I'm assuming have controllers, you can see them twitching all over the place, in corners, even on the straight, and their lap times are some times 2 seconds slower.

Steve Hood, one of the game's designer, I think he said on his Twitter account that they tested all the peripherals with this game, and the lap time was 0.3 seconds faster with a wheel compared to a controller and a keyboard. I think it has to be at least a second faster with assists off, especially with manual gearing because you're that much in control.

Probably won't feel much difference with an arcade handling like the NFS games, but it will make a huge difference in simulation games and semi-sim games such as F1 2010.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Thanks for the link. I would be prepared to fork out for a quality wheel as well as a decent chassis/seat but I've grown to apreciate the anologue hand throttle/brake levers on the Thrustmaster F1 wheel that I'd really prefer another similar wheel, perhaps like this.. http://www.thrustmaster.com/product....1&PlatformID=5

Found a review for it here along with some reviews of some interesting but expensive high end sim racing kit such as the CST pedals. http://www.autosimsport.net/index2/i...d=41&Itemid=59

Its been a few years since I've had the time to be able to seriously go racing online, the last time was TRD3 in Sim mode when it first came out and the odd modded RBR session since then. I think the Mrs will divorce me if I go ahead and upgrade my old rig..

Quote Originally Posted by X-ecutioner
    Haven't played this game with a controller yet, but the wheel HAS to be better. There's just so much more precision. When I play online against people who I'm assuming have controllers, you can see them twitching all over the place, in corners, even on the straight, and their lap times are some times 2 seconds slower.

Steve Hood, one of the game's designer, I think he said on his Twitter account that they tested all the peripherals with this game, and the lap time was 0.3 seconds faster with a wheel compared to a controller and a keyboard. I think it has to be at least a second faster with assists off, especially with manual gearing because you're that much in control.

Probably won't feel much difference with an arcade handling like the NFS games, but it will make a huge difference in simulation games and semi-sim games such as F1 2010.
    In TRD3 I was aprox 0.5 - 1.5 secs quicker (depending on the circuit) than the very best controller players, you really do have so much more control, not only that but it seems to make the game a lot more involving especially when you can feel the grip with FORCEFEEDBACK, playing the game/sim like it should be played.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    I have played racing games in the past with wheels and I have always found them terrible. Maybe it is different with a force feedback wheel. I'll have to try and find one.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico
    Thanks for the link. I would be prepared to fork out for a quality wheel as well as a decent chassis/seat but I've grown to apreciate the anologue hand throttle/brake levers on the Thrustmaster F1 wheel that I'd really prefer another similar wheel, perhaps like this.. http://www.thrustmaster.com/product....1&PlatformID=5

Found a review for it here along with some reviews of some interesting but expensive high end sim racing kit such as the CST pedals. http://www.autosimsport.net/index2/i...d=41&Itemid=59

Its been a few years since I've had the time to be able to seriously go racing online, the last time was TRD3 in Sim mode when it first came out and the odd modded RBR session since then. I think the Mrs will divorce me if I go ahead and upgrade my old rig..

In TRD3 I was aprox 0.5 - 1.5 secs quicker (depending on the circuit) than the very best controller players, you really do have so much more control, not only that but it seems to make the game a lot more involving especially when you can feel the grip with FORCEFEEDBACK, playing the game/sim like it should be played.
    That looks interesting, and I'm intrigued to find out how it would work in a game with those analog hand throttle and brake levers. Can you get the same precision as with pedals? Wouldn't your hands be too busy steering, changing gears, accelerating and braking all with the wheel?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow
    I have played racing games in the past with wheels and I have always found them terrible. Maybe it is different with a force feedback wheel. I'll have to try and find one.
    Oh, it's absolutely a whole world of difference with force feedback. I tried Richard Burns Rally with a wheel with no force feedback, ridiculously horrible. You'd have absolutely no precision, can't catch spins, oversteer etc. In fact, I would prefer a controller over a zero force feedback wheel.

With force feedback however, it's a whole different game and WAY better than anything else. Especially if you tweak the settings to get just the right feel.

That looks interesting, and I'm intrigued to find out how it would work in a game with those analog hand throttle and brake levers. Can you get the same precision as with pedals? Wouldn't your hands be too busy steering, changing gears, accelerating and braking all with the wheel?
    I found it made it far easier, became 2nd nature. I suppose it depends on how much steering lock you like to use, I didn't use a lot so it worked great for me. I have size 11's and had a pedal box that kept shifting but even if it was fixed I think I'd easily have the same if not more precision with the hand levers... but again that will depend on your steering lock preference, I usually used perhaps about 100-110 deg total lock. Index fingers did the paddleshift gears and my remaining fingers throttle and brakes.

If you choose not to use them as throttle/brake they can be configured for analogue 'look' sideview which would probably be better than a IR head tracker.

Oh, it's absolutely a whole world of difference with force feedback. I tried Richard Burns Rally with a wheel with no force feedback, ridiculously horrible. You'd have absolutely no precision, can't catch spins, oversteer etc. In fact, I would prefer a controller over a zero force feedback wheel.

With force feedback however, it's a whole different game and WAY better than anything else. Especially if you tweak the settings to get just the right feel.
    I'll second that, FFB completely changes RBR from a good game to an excellent one.

Does FFB work well on F1 2010?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico
    I'll second that, FFB completely changes RBR from a good game to an excellent one.

Does FFB work well on F1 2010?
    FFB is awesome on F1 2010, especially on the kerbs I find it better than rFactor. Although after the patch, it's got this weird twitch every time I'm on the straights, which is weird. Other than that, the FFB is awesome in the game. It's annoying when you're in an online race with rammers, and you feel every idiotic bump and crash on the wheel.

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    I got down to the mid 1:23s at Albert Park (still with a controller).

What is the best wheel for Xbox? I heard that the Logitech wheel on Xbox doesn't have FFB for licence reasons.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!