Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Would it even be their business, or in their interests to comment? Seems a strange comparison if you don't mind me saying.
    No, I do not mind you saying.

But both are on record as stating that Bernoldi should not have raced coulthard at Monaco in 2001 because Enrique was not fighting for the championship.

This abhorrent and stupid idea recieved very little criticism at the time, despite being entirely contrary to the professed "we are racers" claim of the two people voicing this idea.

Yet when Fernando shows understandable frustration he recieves the bile and hatred of the very people I suspect hold both Mr Dennis and Mr Stewart in high regard.

A little strange, I think.
    Il diavolo era il 1° luglio 1947 nato.
    Forza Ferrari

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Petrov had every right to fight for his position and he drove very well, but lets be honest, he didnt really need to do much to avoid being overtaken other than not make a mistake, Hulkenberg the week before gave a much better display of actual defensive driving.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pallone col bracciale
    And, per favore, how is he supposed to do this on a track with no overtaking places except the straights...where he was 5kph slower?

Do you understand basic physics?

Petrov drove well, no mistakes, but he had an advantage that no opponent could have realistically beaten.
    How Alonso could have executed a pass on Petrov isn't my problem, nor was it Petrov's. What I am saying is, either Petrov could have yielded and let him pass (what some seem to be saying he should have done)... or Alonso somehow, someway, needed to pass him on his own (what I am saying). And because that did not happen, we have the result that we have. Pretty simple really.

We've seen certain drivers in the past sometimes scare the wits out of a driver by their very presence behind him... Senna and Schumacher come to mind. But Alonso didn't/couldn't cause Petrov to lose his nerve, and as you yourself said, he made no mistakes. So...

I admit that I enjoyed Petrov's performance even more because I strongly dislike Alonso. But no matter who it was, I don't think a driver (ANY driver) on the lead lap should be expected to yield his position just because the person following him needs points for the WDC - quasi team orders aside.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    I admit that I enjoyed Petrov's performance even more because I strongly dislike Alonso. But no matter who it was, I don't think a driver (ANY driver) on the lead lap should be expected to yield his position just because the person following him needs points for the WDC - quasi team orders aside.
    Same here

And even though I really wanted Hamilton to win the race - and therefore have the ghost of a chance at the title - I couldn't help but be impressed with Kubica for making it impossible to pass, even though Lewis had a few tries and Robert was on decaying rubber.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with Henners that it wasn't Alonso's finest moment, but as I've said elsewhere I think it equates with Hamilton's claim that Massa had tried to drive him off the track when it was clear that that was not the case. I'm not trying to excuse anyone by saying that, just to contrast the reaction.

Another thing I think those two incidents have in common is that while both Alonso and Hamilton might recognise the other driver did nothing wrong (well, Alonso did anyway), they would probably both still claim that the force used was excessive. Whether you agree with that or not, I don't think The Spanish Inquisition is necessary here.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    How Alonso could have executed a pass on Petrov isn't my problem, nor was it Petrov's. What I am saying is, either Petrov could have yielded and let him pass (what some seem to be saying he should have done)... or Alonso somehow, someway, needed to pass him on his own (what I am saying). And because that did not happen, we have the result that we have. Pretty simple really.

We've seen certain drivers in the past sometimes scare the wits out of a driver by their very presence behind him... Senna and Schumacher come to mind. But Alonso didn't/couldn't cause Petrov to lose his nerve, and as you yourself said, he made no mistakes. So...

Bottom line: I think Petrov BLUFFED alonso.

If alonso had really gone for it, Petrov would have let him pass.
    I thought so during the race, and then later petrov pretty much said so, that he would not have permitted contact.

after all, remember what happenned the last time someone had contact with another contender for the WDC in the last race of the season???? JV/MS???
    what was the punishment??

Alonso may have his 6/10th, but the gonads??????..not even on the last couple of laps did he even try a shot......hummm
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt
    Of course he was! I don't see any controversy whatsoever.

Nonstory.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fandango
    I agree with Henners that it wasn't Alonso's finest moment, but as I've said elsewhere I think it equates with Hamilton's claim that Massa had tried to drive him off the track when it was clear that that was not the case. I'm not trying to excuse anyone by saying that, just to contrast the reaction.
    I'm trying to see the comparisson and failing Fandango.

In Qualifying, Lewis was off the racing line but approaching a corner. Massa came on the outside on the racing line and just ignored Lewis who had to avoid the Ferrari by going off track and crash into a bollard.

If Massa wanted to overtake to get track position for his flying lap, he could have had the manners to just overtake Lewis and not make him drive off track. Bit rude wasn't it?

Where that compares to two drivers in a race for position is beyond me. Petrov and Alonso were racing and neiter Petrov made a mistake or Alonso hadn't the talent to swap the positions.

What point are you tring to make? Alonso should have deliberatly punted Petrov off the track or Massa should have driven around Hamilton?