Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
    I am not saying hulkenberg is a complete failure, but the reality is that Williams is justified in dumping him and trying another rookie
    IMHO Nico has shown more than enough to justify his place in F1. Sadly rookies rarely get the time to learn and develop now. Hulkenberg has a proven winning record at every level - karts, Formula BMW, A1GP, F3 and GP2. That kind of success doesn't always translate into a successful F1 career but NH has given every indication that in his case it will.

I hope and suspect that he will end up with Mercedes next year.

As for Maldonado I simply don't see him having the same potential as Hulkenberg. He's had a rather rocky road of a career, particularly in World Series by Renault and when he was Nico's team-mate in GP2 he was overshadowed by the German.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Copse
    Is the word talent even applicable to a guy who spent 4 years in GP2? In my vocabulary, the word talent implies things like having a gift for something, adapting well and showing promise. What it isn't is taking four years to win a series by slowly, slowly working your way and getting better until you land a ride with a top team in need of money.
    God foribd a driver takes time for his talent to evolve. People seem to think everyone can be Lewis Hamilton or Vettel - they're an exception to the rule.
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by I am evil Homer
    God foribd a driver takes time for his talent to evolve. People seem to think everyone can be Lewis Hamilton or Vettel - they're an exception to the rule.
    I think Maldonado now has developed the skill to be good enough for F1, although I expect him to crash himself and others out quite a lot with overtaking manoeuvres that were never on.

My gripe is with him being called a talent. TheFreeDictionary.com: "A marked innate ability" Wiktionary: "A marked natural ability or skill" Dictionary.com "a special natural ability or aptitude". Spending several years in the mid-pack of junior formulae proves that he does not have innate or natural skills. He has had to learn them, and has unfortunately done fairly well, eventually.

(The reason I dislike him has nothing to do with his on-track skill. It is rooted in that he took FRenault to court trying to win the title after the season was over. This dragged on for months, effectively keeping original and eventual winner Alx Danielsson in limbo for so long that he couldn't get a GP2 ride for the following year.)

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    Didn't someone identify Hulkenberg as a future WDC, and that was only last week?
    I still firmly believe the Hulk will be WDC one day.

I understand why Williams had to let him go, and also why they retained Rubens. I'm fairly certain I'd have made a similar decision had I been in their position. But, that takes nothing away from Hulk. Yes, it took him half a season to get to grips with F1, but he was mighty impressive in the second half of his rookie season.

I'm sure will see more of Hulk for years to come.
    Iceman: Adjective 1)Rapid, swift 2)Nickname of Kimi-Matias Räikkönen, a legendary Formula 1 driver

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by I am evil Homer
    I couldn't agree more.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    I think Williams' financial situation forced the issue with them picking up Maldonado here.