Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Our funny nation...

Well, Finland is out of the European football championships, again. I couldn't care a rat's a** about it but it was peculiar to see the press conference after the crucial game against Hungary we should have won. One reporter dared to ask the coach ( Stuart Baxter ) should he resign? Baxter said; no, why should I? The reporter said that because you lost the game. Baxter asked from the reporter if he knows anything about football? He said he has not coached but he has watched. And baxter said that his mom watched his dad driving a car for 35 years and she still can't drive herself. And the reporter said nothing more....

I don't know how things are in UK?? Would this guy's head be on a plate and the rest of his torso hanged?? I'd imagine there would be dozen of reporters insisting an explanation or a resign. And surely they would not be silenced by the coach??

Another thing... In Finland we have tax over a tax. Everything is frigging expensive. Should something unfair happen by the goverment, something wrong for the people... well, like in France there hundreds of thousands of people on the barricades demanding a change. What happen here? About a twenty people on the stairs of the parlament house and the rest of the citizens grumbling at home behind the curtains that this is f****d up. And after a couple of weeks, we settle... we just settle for things and pay some more, waiting for another thing to happen.

When you guys come to visit us, just cut in the line and say this is my right, and we'll let you pass
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.F.F.
    I don't know how things are in UK?? Would this guy's head be on a plate and the rest of his torso hanged?? I'd imagine there would be dozen of reporters insisting an explanation or a resign. And surely they would not be silenced by the coach??
    Absolutely.

Since 1974 with the end of Alf Ramsey's tenure, there have been 13 different managers. This equates to one every 2.76 years. Basically this means that on average, a manager will be dumped at the end of either a Euro or World Cup campaign.

The English press will not only call for the resignation of managers, they'll harass them, camp outside their house and publish details of their dalliances if they can find any.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    The majority of the English press and fans wouldn't let that stand but I think that it's quite good.

We're the same with the taxing thing, we'll have a good moan but at the end of the day we'll still keep buying things. I tend to think that the Finns and the British are fairly similar in some ways, we're both reknowned for being reserved and seem to have similarly dry senses of humour (on the whole). If only we had some top level rally drivers...
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    And baxter said that his mom watched his dad driving a car for 35 years and she still can't drive herself. And the reporter said nothing more....
    The UK press wouldn't be put down by just that. They are like zombies, you can take one of them out but they just keep on coming!

I'd like to say yes, but England has just suffered it's worst World Cup defeat since 1066 and despite loud calls for the manager to go, Capello is still in his job.

Another thing... In Finland we have tax over a tax. Everything is frigging expensive. Should something unfair happen by the goverment, something wrong for the people... well, like in France there hundreds of thousands of people on the barricades demanding a change. What happen here? About a twenty people on the stairs of the parlament house and the rest of the citizens grumbling at home behind the curtains that this is f****d up. And after a couple of weeks, we settle... we just settle for things and pay some more, waiting for another thing to happen.
    Sounds like Finland has a lot in common with the UK!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark

I'd like to say yes, but England has just suffered it's worst World Cup defeat since 1066
    Battle of Hastings?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hastings
    I could really use a fish right now

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eki
    Aye, we beat the Denmark team in the semis but got hammered by the French in the final.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Mark

Sounds like Finland has a lot in common with the UK!
    Indeed...starting with crappy foods :
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Can't disagree with Pino there......
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    One reporter dared to ask the coach ( Stuart Baxter ) should he resign? Baxter said; no, why should I? The reporter said that because you lost the game. Baxter asked from the reporter if he knows anything about football? He said he has not coached but he has watched. And baxter said that his mom watched his dad driving a car for 35 years and she still can't drive herself. And the reporter said nothing more....
    Your reporter has no presence of spirit. He should reply that even if that woman couldn't drive herself she was probably able to notice when her hubby drove badly and criticize him.

You call your nation funny....

What about mine where people own luxury cars ( Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Bentleys, etc. ) without having proper roads to drive them?

Or where the minister of finance refused to pay benefits to his employees, causing a riot that spread all over the country, although some time ago when he was only a manager in the ministry he sued the institution demanding the same benefits?

Another thing... In Finland we have tax over a tax. Everything is frigging expensive. Should something unfair happen by the goverment, something wrong for the people... well, like in France there hundreds of thousands of people on the barricades demanding a change. What happen here? About a twenty people on the stairs of the parlament house and the rest of the citizens grumbling at home behind the curtains that this is f****d up. And after a couple of weeks, we settle... we just settle for things and pay some more, waiting for another thing to happen
    Ha! We're doing the same although despite having the lowest income in EU the salaries of those who are paid from budget ( doctors, teachers, civil servants, etc. ) were cut by 25%.

No wonder that the "parent" of absurd theatre ( Eugen Ionesco ) was born here....

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo
    Or where the minister of finance refused to pay benefits to his employees, causing a riot that spread all over the country, although some time ago when he was only a manager in the ministry he sued the institution demanding the same benefits?
    I wonder why it took so long to get rid of the Ceausescus.
    I could really use a fish right now