Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janneppi
    From what I've heard it's the opposite, as pressure in tyres drops in colder climate, you need to counter it. If you have 2.2 bar at 20C , it drops to 2.0 bar at 0C.
    Unless you have wet winters with slimy salted roads like we do, then 2.0 bar should be better, especially have you have a sensitive and sporty car.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    I really don't agree with that at all.

You will always want the same pressure (when cold) in your tyres regardless of temperature.

In the snow you definitely don't want tyres which are narrower because it'll be harder for them to bite down. You also don't want a wider tyre in the wet either because a narrower tyre will displace water better.

I'd be very sceptical about anything in that thread, there's a lot of crapola in there like that nitrogen inflated tyres lose pressure more quickly because nitrogen molecules are smaller than oxygen molcules which is rubbish.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...-nitrogen.html

As for the OP, I'd check the car out. That said is it possible you're just feeling a reduction in lateral grip? I find the Fiat bouncier around certain corners when it's colder.
    As I said, we have cold wet winters with slimy salted roads so grip levels are even lower than with just a mere rain shower. You may not believe me but I notice a difference, the grip falls off more progresively with even just a couple of PSI less pressure.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico
    Unless you have wet winters with slimy salted roads like we do, then 2.0 bar should be better, especially have you have a sensitive and sporty car.
    I switch to studded tyres usually around late October / early November. The car is neither sporty nor sensitive with those rubbers. :
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janneppi
    From what I've heard it's the opposite, as pressure in tyres drops in colder climate, you need to counter it. If you have 2.2 bar at 20C , it drops to 2.0 bar at 0C.
    Exactly.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondo
    Lower tire pressure does give you more traction, grip, and feel.
    And much less precision, which isn't really better no matter how much more traction you might get with less pressure.

IMO what one needs to do is to keep the pressure at the levels that are prescribed by the tire manufacturer, they know best what are the right numbers!
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

As I said, we have cold wet winters with slimy salted roads so grip levels are even lower than with just a mere rain shower. You may not believe me but I notice a difference, the grip falls off more progresively with even just a couple of PSI less pressure.
    I really don't agree that simply dropping the pressures down will give more grip in winter.

Lets see what Donkey Jote says If anyone is best equipped to comment, it's him.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    I really don't agree that simply dropping the pressures down will give more grip in winter.

Lets see what Donkey Jote says If anyone is best equipped to comment, it's him.
    I didn't say it gives you more grip, it just enables you to feel when you are reaching the lower grip limits, more comunication and less nervous.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting theories about this judging from this tyre temps vs tyre pressures thread http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/show...t=43078&page=2 I guess there are so many variables that what works for some might not for others but it works for me.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I didn't say it gives you more grip, it just enables you to feel when you are reaching the lower grip limits, more comunication and less nervous.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting theories about this judging from this tyre temps vs tyre pressures thread http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/show...t=43078&page=2 I guess there are so many variables that what works for some might not for others but it works for me.
    Excuse me if I don't exactly find what they're saying convincing. I'll wait for Donkey Jote to give his 2 euro cents
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've only ever seen one road car here with nitrogen in the tyres (it was from Queensland and had green valve caps). The bloke asked me if I knew where the nearest place he could get nitrogen for them as they leaked a bit. I didn't have a clue if that was a normal service extra or whatever, wonder if he ever did find a place...

After a bit of thought about this... I wouldn't junk these dampers just yet Tannat, damper fluid is going to increase in viscosity as the temps fall right?

I fitted adjustable AVO's to my GTI and spent a fair amount of time experimenting with the variable settings, when I stiffened them right up the car was great fun to drive.. much more chuckable but it litterally bounced round the corners, chuckable and fun but definately not fast. If you do ever get new dampers stay away from adjustables or at least AVO's in particular.. I only got about 10k miles from them before 2 developed a leak, that said... I did give them a bit of punishment to be fair.

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    I've noticed on quite a few cars that initial ride quality is down in the cold weather. I've always assumed it was due to cold dampers, cooler tire temps, etc.

As for pressures vs handling and grip levels, it's apparent to me that lower tire pressures present a larger contact patch and more grip, but at the same time the sidewall is not as stiff and the tire might not feel as solid. Unless you air a tire way down the contact patch really never gets wider, but it gets longer even with lesser pressure changes.