Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert McNamara

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Robert McNamara

I'm watching a documentary about Robert McNamara, the Secretary of Defense in 1961 to 1968, on TV. Seems that he learnt a lot during his 93 years on this planet, despite him being a Republican.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_McNamara

[youtube]hOCYcgOnWUM[/youtube]
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eki
    I'm watching a documentary about Robert McNamara, the Secretary of Defense in 1961 to 1968, on TV. Seems that he learnt a lot during his 93 years on this planet, despite him being a Republican.
    Proof the term Republican has become meaningless.

MacNamara was personally responsible for the preventable deaths or imprisonment of aviators in Vietnam.
    He personifies the term- arrogant evil.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
    Proof the term Republican has become meaningless.
    True. In the old days it equaled an idiot, now you just don't know.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    True. In the old days it equaled an idiot, now you just don't know.
    Your rhetoric is as obtuse as usual, yet, if you are saying MacNamara is stupid, that is an understatement.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
    Your rhetoric is as obtuse as usual, yet, if you are saying MacNamara is stupid, that is an understatement.
    No, I'm saying McNamara was an intelligent person capable of learning from his own mistakes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No, I'm saying McNamara was an intelligent person capable of learning from his own mistakes.
    He neither learned nor took responsibility for the misery HE caused, so you have been fooled by a lying fool.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Most everybody learns from their mistakes. The problem is that they don't learn while the mistake is in progress. The other problem is that they don't learn from the offered wisdom of their experienced elders, believing themselves to being a unique human being operating in different times and the lessons of the past will not apply to them.

McNamara's admissions, while perhaps noble, came about long after the damage was done and he was on the threshold of facing his own mortality.
    If legislation makes you equal, you aren't.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Not a man worthy of a great deal of respect, in my view. Nor were his acolytes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Whatever you think about him, it's simply factually innacurate to say McNamara was stupid. He was an intelligent man, and what I liked about The Fog Of War was how he gave his side of things, based on how he saw the world. It's a good documentary, even if you don't agree with his views.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fandango
    Whatever you think about him, it's simply factually innacurate to say McNamara was stupid. He was an intelligent man, and what I liked about The Fog Of War was how he gave his side of things, based on how he saw the world. It's a good documentary, even if you don't agree with his views.
    True. I wish current and future world leaders would watch it and learn before they themselves repeat the same mistakes.