Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Today was the first day that I used my full lights when driving to work at normal times and the clocks go back tomorrow. I thought that was good timing.

I'm not bothered either way about them changing the clocks. Although I do remember reading somewhere that there are alot of motor vehicle accidents in the week after the clocks change. It was something to do with a combination of the clocks changing and kids going back to school after half term.
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fandango
    Portugal is on the same time as Britain, and so are the Canaries, so it's not 100% accurate to say Spain is on CET time.
    Fandongo true that the Canary islands doesnt use CET.
    but claiming that Spain is not using CET becasue of the Canries that is the same thing as saying that Britain not uses GMT/BST to a 100%
    because the Falkland islands uses another time zone or?

And Portugal is not Spain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwalker
    Fandongo true that the Canary islands doesnt use CET.
    but claiming that Spain is not using CET becasue of the Canries that is the same thing as saying that Britain not uses GMT/BST to a 100%
    because the Falkland islands uses another time zone or?

And Portugal is not Spain
    Not really, I just said it's not 100% accurate. When I get up in the morning and turn on Radio Nacional de España to hear the Spanish national news, they always say the peninsula time and the time in the Canaries. I don't think they give the time in the Falklands on the BBC in Britain.

It's a question of distance. And yes, I'm aware that Portugal isn't part of Spain. King Somebody or other in Madrid was fighting on two fronts and chose to let Portugal go so that he could hang onto Catalonia and connection it gave him with Europe, a while back... (or so I've been told...)

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    ... Why screw around with time?
    Bah, it's all relative.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Ah but Gibraltar isn't part of the United Kingdom! In fact the only territories that are are Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Not even the channel islands or Isle of Man are officially part of the UK.

It would be more useful I think if the whole world just agreed it was going to scrap daylight savings time completely and keep the clocks the same year round. Although admittedly clock change time is the only time I reset my clocks at home; some of which can be up to 10 minutes out by the time the 6 months has elapsed!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    I hate daylight savings. Why screw around with time?
    Back to the future! Well, actually this time it's back to the past.
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    It's now dark for the kids in the morning (school starts at 7:45 and they'd be waiting for the bus in pitch black at 6:55 if I didn't drive them to school most of the time ), so yes, now is the right time to put the clocks back to English time. In Germany, kids as young as 6 are expected to either walk or take public transport to school, on their own.

Anyway I quite like the ritual. A bit like the geese flying over, it marks the beginning of Winter.

I'll be putting my body clock back 2 hours on Sunday though... me's off to Portugal again
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    I hate dark mornings.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow
    I hate dark mornings.
    I hate dark evenings even more...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GridGirl
    .... I do remember reading somewhere that there are alot of motor vehicle accidents in the week after the clocks change. It was something to do with a combination of the clocks changing and kids going back to school after half term.
    Funnily enough, a guy on TV the other morning said overall, both in winter and summer time, there are far more serious/fatal accidents in the early evening each and every day. The second most dangerous time to drive is in the early hours (when it's dark anyway and the roads are quiet). I guess people rush more on the way home, adding to that the school and shopping runs, and the roads are just more dangerous.

The point somebody made about farmers wanting to stay as we are is right - land and animals have no idea what the time is! Chicken farmers seem to be the worst for moaning about us going to one set of time all year .... but I keep chickens and they have no watches. They just do their chicken thing whatever the weather. Farmers add lights to chicken houses to make them lay in winter anyhow, so why can't they add light at different times? Cows are milked in the dark either morning or evening anyway, so again they have no valid argument to alter time for lighter mornings.
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused: