Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T
    nice subject....

Do local organisers sometimes allow local crews to "bend" this limit ?? For example here in Greece almost all local crews who know the stages of WRC and ERC events do illegal recce...is the situation the same in Other countries ??

I am aware of the Campos, panizzi, delecour, puras, paasonen incidents but here in greece there is a tradition since there is no inspection of the special stages and some of our local boys even recce them in rally cars....is it the same in your countries as well ?
    A very stupid and bad "tradition", in my opinion. In my 30 years as a competitor (codriver) I have never once been asked by a driver to take part in illegal recce. If I had gotten that question I just would have dropped the guy and found another driver.

The "risk" of actually doing illegal recce is of course bigger in WRC events than in national rallies. Entering a WRC event is in itself a rather costly business, and then end up being excluded from an event before the start is a great waste of money - as well as being extremely difficult to explain and shameful towards sponsors and anyone else supporting you.

In my country (Norway) illegal recce with actual rally cars would surely not only lead to exclusion from an event, but also result in loss of driver/codrivers licence for a substantial time period. With this risk in mind, I can`t recall any drivers who has "dared" to do that during the years I have been active.

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW
    From what I have seen on recce all top crews record the stage on video. In car systems are not that expensive these days, and lets face it if you have the budget to enter a WRC rally, or even recce only budget, video recording is a small additional cost. Cutting down on a video camera is giving you as much a disadvantage as running 3 tyres. Having said that I only have seen P1 and P2 drivers recce, normally they recce at a different time to the other drivers.
    Yes, I know this myself as well.
    Just wanted to know if this is legal by rules or not. Problably it is. Then illegal recce does not make any sense, because you can study stages in front of TV.

Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iskald
    With this risk in mind, I can`t recall any drivers who has "dared" to do that during the years I have been active.
    Ehh, this years Numedalsrally.. Ok the circumstances were rather spesial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Are Ford still using the S60 Volvo's for Recce? Seen about 10 parked outside their hotel last year

They also used one as the 0 car.. Did Ford supply this one?
    Rather hear the wail of the Bowler they used in 04

Citroen used Mitsubishi Evo's, is this still the case?
    A pic of the one Loeb ditched a few years ago lol

Any ideas what Mini will use? BMW X3's maybe or a clubman AWD!!

Liked 979 Times in 340 Posts
    Yes & yes about the Volvo's and Evo's.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Here in Australia we generally use a 2 pass system. On local events with 3 or 4 stages used several times we recce in the morning & start the event at about 1pm. This means getting your notes spot on is really important & many people (in perth at least) don't use camera's. I personally wouldn't use as there is a very fine balance between have great notes & committing to them & relying on memory (which isn't always correct).

NOT, to answer your question, yes there are isolated case of people doing illegal recce but they are dealt with severly. We have a ban for the two months prior to the event on illegal recce.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ive seen non-factory drivers using all kinds of different cars for recce, of course those with budget tend to use evos and imprezas, but I remember Prokop trashing a rental Mitsubishi Outlander in rally mexico... its always cool to see what happens behind the scenes

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macksrallye
    NOT, to answer your question, yes there are isolated case of people doing illegal recce but they are dealt with severly. We have a ban for the two months prior to the event on illegal recce.
    we have also severe punishments...some of them we even name them greek champions and best greek drivers at the end...we can be very harsh when we are pushed....

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    and to clarify things...for the greek championship we don't have a limit in recce they can do as many passes as they want (as long as they don't drive the stage backwards...but again even some do that also) but for the WRC and ERC rounds we do, but again in Greece none cares...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    Ehh, this years Numedalsrally.. Ok the circumstances were rather spesial
    That had nothing to do with recce.