Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Porsche Boxster-feedback, opinions, etc

I'm in the early, early stages of shopping for a Porsche Boxster. I'd like to hear any feedback on build quality, reliability or any other issues forumers would like to share..

Thanks for your input..

Tannat
    9-23-2006 Cadey-Lee Deacon,The Rocket Pub, New Parks, Leicester: Little one, through some miracle of reincarnation may you be given a second chance at a full life. You\'ll not soon leave our thoughts and prayers ;(

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I think Kneeslider has one.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Indeed I do! Had it since '05 and put 50,000 miles on it since then. It's a '97 2.5l model, with the optional hard top.

It's a great car to point and go, very comfortable, and the biggest surprise is that its not too silly for fuel mileage either. The handling is great if you have been more accustomed to hot hatch type cars, A bit of understeer to let you know you are pushing on, then really easy to balance with a bit of throttle, but even with traction control, it will still bite in the wet. A colleague bought one, and disappeared backwards off the road after only a few weeks ownership.

They aren't bulletproof in terms of reliability, and even if you are handy with the spanners, you won't be able to do much home maintenance without a lift or a pit.

Spares prices are a bit scary. A water pump and fitting kit is about £200.
    Adventure without risk is Disneyland.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneeslider
    They aren't bulletproof in terms of reliability, and even if you are handy with the spanners, you won't be able to do much home maintenance without a lift or a pit.

Spares prices are a bit scary. A water pump and fitting kit is about £200.

yes- about $400 Us is a bit scary...

I assume they are like 911s-easier to simply remove the engines to work on them than while in the car?

I'm sure they drive like a dream. Any problem areas? A friend mentioned oil leaks on earlier models?
    9-23-2006 Cadey-Lee Deacon,The Rocket Pub, New Parks, Leicester: Little one, through some miracle of reincarnation may you be given a second chance at a full life. You\'ll not soon leave our thoughts and prayers ;(

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The rear crank oil seal is a known weak point, mine was replaced at 90k miles along with the clutch. The newer modified parts are supposed to be better. A clutch change is about £1k here. Front suspension wishbone bushings can fail, and that is about £300 per side. In particular factor in a clutch change, as mechanically unsympathetic types can get through them very quickly.

Apart from that, regular servicing isn't too expensive, compared to anything else. Tyres are £200 per corner. Pirelli Pzeros are good, Im running Dunlops at the moment.

In summertime I had a good backroad blast with a friend driving a series2 Lotus Elise, which is in theory a quicker car, but on bumpy B roads, the Boxster has similar performance, due to the Elise being rather too stiff for the bumps. The traction control light blinking on at 3 figure speeds is interesting! The limit is your own personal bravery!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Where are you located?

In the US it is considered a Total Chick Car.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneeslider
    The rear crank oil seal is a known weak point, mine was replaced at 90k miles along with the clutch. The newer modified parts are supposed to be better. A clutch change is about £1k here. Front suspension wishbone bushings can fail, and that is about £300 per side. In particular factor in a clutch change, as mechanically unsympathetic types can get through them very quickly.

Apart from that, regular servicing isn't too expensive, compared to anything else. Tyres are £200 per corner. Pirelli Pzeros are good, Im running Dunlops at the moment.

In summertime I had a good backroad blast with a friend driving a series2 Lotus Elise, which is in theory a quicker car, but on bumpy B roads, the Boxster has similar performance, due to the Elise being rather too stiff for the bumps. The traction control light blinking on at 3 figure speeds is interesting! The limit is your own personal bravery!
    Really appreciate the input, Kneeslider

I feel a bit more comfortable about this now...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    Where are you located?

As a happily married father of two the TCC quotient doesn't mean too much to me...

Memphis TN

I'm really looking for an affordable P car without the engine in the front (924, 944, 928, 968) or in the middle and made by Volkswagen (914).

I'd really like to get a 911, but they hold their value far far too well

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    Where are you located?

England!

Well, you might think so, but I don't give a damn! It's much more capable than most things on the road, and I get to drive a Porsche every day.

I guess you are one of those guys who thinks that only a real man drives a big car?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I know this goes against your rules, but what about a Cayman?

That little car is a total sleeper. Porsche stupidly crippled this car's power in order to keep the Cayman from cannibalizing sales from the 911. In terms of handling, it's even better than it's big brother when it comes to the corners. Also, I know you don't care, but the Cayman is not a chick car.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011