Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Hatchbacks

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

Hot Hatchbacks

With the demise of my Ford Ka (due to requiring a front suspension rebuild which was worth more than the car), I'm looking for a replacement.

So far I've narrowed the short list down to about four, with the Honda Civic Type-R, Ford Fiesta Zetec and the VW Golf type wotsits at the top of the running.

Has anyone had any experience with any of the above, or can you recommend something else for punting through city traffic in a hurry?
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Are you talking about new hot hatches or older shape models? My brother previously had the old shaped Type R Anniversary edition and I wouldn't put it in the same class of car as my old shape Fiesta ST. The newer shape Civic Type R is much slower than the old one but again I wouldn't class it in the same league as a new shape Fiesta Zetec in terms of price and size, cost of running and insurance.

I've had things go wrong with my Ford but my brother has never had anything go wrong with his Type R. He's now got a S2000 and seems to be firmly converted into being a Honda man.

I have to admit that I am quite taken with the looks of the Alfa Romeo Mito and the Fiesta RS. I don't think you can buy a Fiesta RS yet though but I may be wrong.
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    I seriously doubt whether we'll ever be able to buy a Fiesta RS in Oz. We only just got the Focus RS, and even then the 315 which were allocated all got sold... in FOUR minutes.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I just consulted google and I don't think they are going to release an RS anyway. The RS will be used in WRC and a new ST will be released with an eco-boost engine some time next year but I guess that will also take some time to be released in Austrailia. Persnonally, as much as I like the looks of that RS, I just don't think I'd buy another ST.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Not really a hatch, but what about a WRX wagon? A few relatively simple mods and you can get 300 bhp+ from the 02-05 2.0 liter U.S model. I'm not sure what was offered there... you may even be able to get the STi in wagon form.

Great build quality, bullet proof reliability and hella quick.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    106 GTI, yeah it may not look much but I promise you it will be the most fun fwd car you will ever drive once you have explored that chassis, its the only fwd car i have driven that can be steered on the throttle with the back end hanging right out with such ease, such comunicative steering too. Only 120bhp but very light giving a great power to weight ratio allowing to to punch well above its weight. It was voted the 2nd best handling car in the world from a field of 40 cars by Richard Burns and Tim Harvey on Top Gear when they 1st came out, the winner was the Ferrari 550 Maranello, a fwd hot hatch should not even be in that top 40 never mind finish 2nd.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...8027664524544#

Do not even think about getting its poor cousin the Saxo VTS, it may share the same engine etc but they dont have the 24mm rear ARB so they aren't as well ballanced through the corners.. the build quality isn't as good on them, they are as common as muck and you will just look like another boy racing twat.

You'll get aprox 30-35 mpg from it depending on how you drive it.
    Unfortunatey they have become very popular with the boy racing fraternity who modify them, rag them and ruin the handling by lowering them and fitting bigger wheels etc etc.. so just make sure its completely standard with as low millage as possible, generally very relliable in my experience (I've had 3) but after 70-80k miles the rear beam bearings will go requiring a refurbed beam with new stub pins. I decided to break my last one.. it had done 110k but it needed a new rear beam amongst other things and I was needing a diesel for work. I will definately be getting another one day though.. or maybe a 306 Rallye.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Aren't those hot hatchbacks a bit embarrasing? (If you're over 20 that is) A small car that is sporty but in reality terribly noisy and unpractical...
    “Leave me alone!”

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Noisey...yes I suppose.

Define unpractical though. I can fit my 4 year old and 9month old neices complete with car seats in the back of my ST quite easily and it has more than enough room in the boot for shopping and carting around work files and my laptop etc. My car is practical for 99.9% of the time I'm driving it. I suppose I do have the option of using my other half's bigger car but I rarely actually require a car that big. I suppose a hot hatch costs more to run and insure but I wouldn't necessarily say that means its unpractical.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Alfa Mito Cloverleaf! You won't be disappointed.

If it's something older you are after one of the Renault Sports are fantastic fun.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    A Grande Punto Abarth or a Punto Evo Abarth would be a good choice too. Sadly neither sell in Australia though I think the Punto Evo Abarth might be selling soon.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.