Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Harvester of Sorrow ~ Metallica ...the title sez it all!
    I'm choosing Joey Logano as my avatar. I feel he is a worthy ally.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondo
    Possibly the theme song from the old TV series, Gilligan's Island.
    I find that oddly (and very) funny. I'm not sure why though.

Maybe it says that I'm sort of morbid, but I picked out my funeral song years ago (when I was in my late 20's/early 30's): an instrumental version of the Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter". Even though it's the lyrics that make it the best choice for me, the song melody itself is also quite beautiful.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fandango
    When I studied music in UCD (University College Dublin to you, Bamber), there was an infamous lecture in second year where some ancient recordings of keeners were played, and the lecturer would say, just before playing "I trust you will have the necessary maturity not to find humour in these recordings, as others have in the past."

Obviously, this was enough to have us all biting the insides of our mouths to stop the laughing, as the recording that began was like a cross between Monty Python and and Mrs Doyle from Fr Ted. Many of us failed th etest, as the stern professor witnessed in disgust. Looking back, I reckon he did it deliberately, and had his own laugh once he returned to his office...
    I'm studying Irish music myself in UL. And, to be honest, I don't find the keening or caoineadh humorous. I find it quite difficult to listen to and very hard on the ear. Not just in tone and timbre, but also when the whole scenario of the funeral is taken into account. It's an interesting aspect of the Irish culture and one which created a 'shock factor' for some visiting foreigners on witnessing it [e.g. the book Alexander's Travels in Ireland - or something to that effect]. Anyway, another thread for another day.

In all seriousness, I'm thinking I'd like to have Ben Harper & The Blind Boys of Alabama do a rendition of "I want to Ready" or similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIg1cCpNf5Y
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 52Paddy
    I'm studying Irish music myself in UL. And, to be honest, I don't find the keening or caoineadh humorous. I find it quite difficult to listen to and very hard on the ear. Not just in tone and timbre, but also when the whole scenario of the funeral is taken into account.
    I'm sure you do, and rightly so. I mean no disrespect, but when an over-pompous university professor with no personality tells you that you MUST take something seriously on a dreary Tuesday morning it's hard to keep a straight face.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fandango
    I mean no disrespect, but when an over-pompous university professor with no personality tells you that you MUST take something seriously on a dreary Tuesday morning it's hard to keep a straight face.
    I completely understand what you mean. We've just learned this stuff in different environments.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mines going to be Roy 'Chubby' Browns entrance music.

"You fat b@st@rd, You fat b@st@rd... etc. And everyone pointing their fingers singing lol

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    It's got to be 'Visitor For Mr Edmonds' by Half Man Half Biscuit.

[youtube]JN5T4NHqhsg[/youtube]
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    I would want to be cremated and just as my coffin gets wheeled off I want the countdown music playing.
    Time is the enemy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emporer_k
    I would want to be cremated and just as my coffin gets wheeled off I want the countdown music playing.
    I think I saw an episode of QI where they said this actually happens quite a lot.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    He stopped lovinn her today-george jones
    This is the beguining of the next fifty years. heres where i see how much i learned.