Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What I was really getting at is that it's unlikely that someone like Petrov or Maldonado would really make a big impact in F1, and that it's the Hamilton and Hülkenberg-type storms thru GP2 that show the real talent, not the hangers-on who eventually win a Pantano-type championship. There may well be some good talent in GP2 (Bianchi comes to mind), but generally if they don't win or at least challenge for the title by their 2nd season in GP2 they have somewhat missed the talent boat

Of course, surprises are always possible, a la Kobayashi...

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    http://www.formula1.com/news/intervi...0/9/11206.html

Q: There have been rumours about an alliance between the team and Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim Helu, who has been looking for a way into Formula One racing for some time. Is there any truth in the rumours?
    PS:
    I could say that we don’t comment on rumours. That could be one possible answer. But how do rumours start? (Mexican GP3 driver) Esteban Gutierrez was already contracted to the BMW Sauber F1 team. We had him drive the car for one day last year at the young drivers test day, as this was contractually agreed and he did impress us. This was the reason why we took him. Gutierrez is contracted to us now and he has very close contacts to Mexico and especially to Carlos Slim. This is the reason why you will find Carlos Slim a bit more often in our hospitality than at those of other teams, but it is also no secret that Carlos Slim is a much-welcomed guest at all the other teams as well.
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    The news that have been waited for for half a year already, have finally arrived. In any case I'm waiting for the debut of Sergio Pérez with positive feelings. Unlike various other youngsters, he has been making his way up through the feeder ranks silently and basically without any hype. Despite that he has managed to improve each year and in 2010 in GP2 has already been showing such level, which warrants a shot in F1. But in any case it looks like Mexico could have a bright future in motorsports as I reckon the next up-and-comer Gutiérrez could well be even better than Pérez.

The most critical aspect about Sauber's 2011 drivers is that they have got a massively inexperienced driver line-up (Kobayashi + Pérez + Gutiérrez). I wonder, how much of a hindrance is it going to be at race weekends in setting up the car, improving as a driver by learning from an experienced partner, etc. But on a more positive note it can be recalled that in 2001 Sauber also had a rather "green" pairing, which caused a lot of questions, but despite that the team managed to perform very well.

I don't think the GP2 field should be downplayed in such manner. Some say about each GP2 year that the field is weak. Just because the drivers are still young, inexperienced and haven't reached the greatness of the world of motorsport yet, doesn't mean they are poor future prospects. And I wouldn't be so negative about Maldonado - IMO he is an improved version of Petrov. Has spent a few years in GP2 and managed to improve notably throughout years, although admittedly I wouldn't expect him to be a future F1 WDC contender. His main minus was the collapse at the end of 2009 in ART, otherwise he has been doing well.
    I agree with you about Perez, top rookie and probably would have challenged Maldonado better if it wasn't for a run of really poor pitstops from the Addax team. Can't agree on Maldonado though, 4 years in top teams in GP2 and the only year he looks like a contender is the one where most of his opponents are rookies, I doubt he's good enough for F1. Not sure about Gutierrez though, winning GP3 doesn't mean much as the field doesn't look that strong.

This years GP2 field was decent, but quite erratic so its hard to tell just how good some of them are. I still expect to see Turvey and Bianchi make it to F1 in a few years though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mexico is my adoptive country. And I am very proud looking at Sergio to compete vs the elite. Since Sauber has Ferrari power, I hope he can fight for a Ferrari seat in the future. If Slim gets more involved with Perez and Gutierrez, there will be a chance to keep Slim as a principal. We hope they can get Alexander Rossi in a near future.

A Mexican venue would be sweet. But after what is going on, it might be unlikely.

Y SI SE PUDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Placid
    Mexico is my adoptive country. And I am very proud looking at Sergio to compete vs the elite. Since Sauber has Ferrari power, I hope he can fight for a Ferrari seat in the future. If Slim gets more involved with Perez and Gutierrez, there will be a chance to keep Slim as a principal. We hope they can get Alexander Rossi in a near future.

A Mexican venue would be sweet. But after what is going on, it might be unlikely.

Y SI SE PUDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Apparently, Slim has not interest on being a partner for a team. He will focus on their drivers and funding!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ratonmacias
    well done Sergio. as for sauber well this doesnt bode well a rookie and a 2nd year driver. the problem both are paydrivers. this means sauber are on survival mode.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koz
    Add to the list Kubica.
    Kubica was BMW driver and was not hired by Sauber.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro