Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    An SUV is designed to go offroad, a crossover is not. A crossover is just a minivan chassis without the sliding door and wedge shape.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    An SUV is designed to go offroad, a crossover is not. A crossover is just a minivan chassis without the sliding door and wedge shape.
    Really? Explain then how people who buy Nissan Rogues view their car? Crossover? No...SUV? no...Crossover? No one can be sure...the lines are blurred. Most people never drove their SUV offroad anyhow..and I suspect half of them didn't know how to run the AWD or 4WD on.

The reality of it is, Crossovers are designed to look and feel like an SUV while yes, having car or van underpinnings but lets not kid ourselves, most people have no clue, they just drive em...

The thing is about the minivan, the concept works, it is the packaging people rebelled against. Somehow people think a crossover or SUV will make people not think you are a family guy as opposed to the Minivan....never mind they are less space efficient, more hard on gas, and usually are less practical for egress an ingress; which for those who have had to take a baby seat in and out will tell you is a HUGE advantage for the minivan...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Drifter
    Usual BS about Toy being the first foreign car.
    MG and Jaguar both raced in the taxi cabs and were quickly banned after the Jags walked a race with one lapping the field several times. Back in the very early days.
    Don't forget that not too long ago Chrysler was owned by Mercedes so technically the Dodges were "furrin" cars as well.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    who cares, the cars are specs. its really just about engine support. thats why I laugh why people are so mad Toyota are still racing in Nascar, who really cares, welcome all the car brands come and out the rule book again,

ALMS is quickly taking the fans in the states and Nascar still doesnt get it. maybe because you get to do so much at the events for cheap and the racing is fantastic along with the cars looking amazing
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

2007 Overall Pickems Champion
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Question

If VW goes NASCAR (though I doubt it), I bet Red Bull Racing will be their primary team. VW Group and Red Bull have a privileged relationship in motorsports (Red Bull-Skoda in rallying, Red Bull - Audi in DTM, Red Bull - VW in Dakar and there used to be Red Bull - SEAT in WTCC, until the manufacturer officially withdrew last year; many more examples actually).
    "Nada pode me separar do amor de Deus"
    http://rallyeracing.wordpress.com/

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    I could imagine VW getting into NASCAR. Especially if NASCAR can ditch the technophobia.

Though of all the German brands, I would have sooner expected this from BMW.
    VW would have been my pick. And I hope they do come in. BMW is extremely image conscious. And I can't see them wanting/allowing even their $40K entry level "ultimate driving machines" ( - sorry, I'm not a Bimmer fan) to compete against $20K grocery getters from the competition.

Volkswagens (literally "the people's car") are now being slapped together in Tennessee, so it's about as "American" as any of the other makes out there. I know Grand Am is moving to a new spec in 2013 (and VW/Porsche seems excited about that). Is anything special happening with the Sprint Cup specs around the 2013 mark??? Anything new or different about the engines due to hit around that time?

I'm not really a VW fan but I still think it would be cool to have them in NASCAR. Wouldn't it be wild to see Porsche entering F1 and the Daytona 24 (with a turbos! :bounce in 2013, VW entering NASCAR and Audi back at Le Mans with a major effort?
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wbcobrar
    VW translates to the peoples car, and having one in NASCAR, the most popular American motorsport, would defiantly put them on the map of what we here define as a major manufacturer. Penskie would be the logical choice for a team to carry the banner. They have a working relationship with Porsche (which I believe is a corporate affiliate of VW) and Rodger is just the man to go outside the box.
    Sorry, I didn't see your post. I could have saved myself some time and the site some bandwidth by just saying, "I agree with wbcobrar!"

And yeah, Porsche got gobbled up by VW after challenging them to a game of mine is bigger than yours. Porsche lost.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    Volkswagens (literally "the people's car") are now being slapped together in Tennessee, so it's about as "American" as any of the other makes out there. I know Grand Am is moving to a new spec in 2013 (and VW/Porsche seems excited about that). Is anything special happening with the Sprint Cup specs around the 2013 mark??? Anything new or different about the engines due to hit around that time?
    Just Fuel Injection, (when they should be going to a 4.0L (or smaller) all alloy multi valve V8.)

Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
    *clump*

that's the sound of the other shoe dropping....

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87473

and, yes, in conjunction with NASCAR.
    Defend mediocrity... because excelence is just too hard to achieve. :p

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    DTM and Japanese Super GT on same regs, standalone US series...sounds very interesting.
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout: