Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o
    Agreed. These are the people who came to the minivan party 10 years after the minivan was dead and buried. I don't see the benefit to an automaker that clearly wishes to be more BMW than GM.
    1950? I don't know how poor your knowledge about the rest of the world is, but if you think introducing a minivan late is a notable thing about VW, then you can't know much.

But, you are right on your second point: Being part of the NASCAR community will not do them any good.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Copse
    1950? I don't know how poor your knowledge about the rest of the world is, but if you think introducing a minivan late is a notable thing about VW, then you can't know much.

But, you are right on your second point: Being part of the NASCAR community will not do them any good.
    I was speaking of the Routan, not the VW bus. I don't think folks consider that classic to be in the minivan class. The Routan came to market to compete with the Odyssey's and Caravan's of the world, not carry on the mantle of the Bus, or the Euro Van.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was speaking of the Routan, not the VW bus. I don't think folks consider that classic to be in the minivan class. The Routan came to market to compete with the Odyssey's and Caravan's of the world, not carry on the mantle of the Bus, or the Euro Van.
    I see. I guess I've learnt something then. Seems like a strange choice from VW to put their badge on that one. Without seeing the logo on the front, who could have guessed it was supposed to be VW? The existence of that abomination actually makes me think I could be wrong about them and NASCAR. If they think their presence in the US can look like that, then they could actually believe they fit into NASCAR.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Copse
    I see. I guess I've learnt something then. Seems like a strange choice from VW to put their badge on that one. Without seeing the logo on the front, who could have guessed it was supposed to be VW? The existence of that abomination actually makes me think I could be wrong about them and NASCAR. If they think their presence in the US can look like that, then they could actually believe they fit into NASCAR.
    That one is a real head scratcher for me as well. This company in general has made some errors in judging the marketplace here in the US. They came to market with the Toureg, while other core products suffered with sludge buildup in the 1.8t and window regulator issues with Golf/Jetta. The Toureg was an engineering marvel, designed to compete with Lexus. But the factory did not support the dealer body when it came to servicing these customers. Initially, dealers were left to fend for rentals, while our Lexus counterparts were put in replacement Lexus', leaving the dealer body with egg on face.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Agreed. These are the people who came to the minivan party 10 years after the minivan was dead and buried. I don't see the benefit to an automaker that clearly wishes to be more BMW than GM.
    The Minivan isn't dead and buried....just has been usurped by the SUV...which when you think of it is the least efficient way to carry what a minivan does so well.

Naah, VW just is trying to round out their line up, and they buy the Routan from Chrysler. The line in Windsor ON turning out the Caravan is also making Routans....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The SUV and the Minivan are both dead; however, their offspring, the Crossover, is on a quest for world domination.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    The SUV and the Minivan are both dead; however, their offspring, the Crossover, is on a quest for world domination.
    Agreed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edv
    VW's biggest hurdle would be to find an engineer familiar with that 'carburetor' thingy. LOL
    Not really as by then NASCAR will have moved on to fuel injection.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    VW translates to the peoples car, and having one in NASCAR, the most popular American motorsport, would defiantly put them on the map of what we here define as a major manufacturer. Penskie would be the logical choice for a team to carry the banner. They have a working relationship with Porsche (which I believe is a corporate affiliate of VW) and Rodger is just the man to go outside the box.
    :dozey: Behold the power of cheese;)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    The Crossover is just another SUV like critter. And the Minivan isn't dead yet....

VW wants to make inroads into America, and it started by putting a CUV/SUV in their lineup and then adding the Routan. Sounds like a German car make looking at America more seriously to me..and the last step of of that would be in theory going to NASCAR...

VW in NASCAR sounds hard to believe...but I thought I would never see Toyota our there either...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".