Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts

Racing online - how dirty are you?

I'll give the place back but if someone wants payback I'll have no complaints and give it back to them

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    All depends. I don't take the view that someone deliberately takes you out. I did a bit of racing in a LFS series and the only thing I didn't like was that someone just made a slight mistake (lock a wheel or whatever) and slid into another guy and it was like the bloody OJ Simpson trial. People make mistakes. If I shortcut and gain time I'll give the place back. Giving guys room can be a problem. I remember one time me and another guy running side-by-side through a corner and we got lag and the stupid thing say we'd bounced into each other and we went flying off. After the race we were both "what happened there" and the guy behind us had to explain what had happened. Fortunately he was a good guy but others will murder you for that which is bollocks in my opinion.
    CMR4L titles: 2, RBR MF Cup titles: 2
    :champion:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm a gentleman. It's iRacing's fault Seriously, I'm a big believer in Karma. If the guys around me want to race like D-Bags, they'll get theirs sooner or later. I usually see them spinning off the track or disconnected by the time I cross the finish line.
    Chrome Horn Racing
    Will Power, 2011 Champion!!!

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    If I'm racing as part of a league, the races are usually moderated far better (rFactor). You will get penalties after the race if the jury thinks it fit and this will obviously have bad implications of your driver's standings. Furthermore, you can be kicked from the server if you're driving extremely outlandish.

However, when it comes down to "friendly" events which are open to all, it's not as easy. Take the Renault Megane Cup races at rFactor: I've given up with qualifying. There is always some(a couple of) idiot(s) who just want to cause a major first corner collision and, more often that not, they are successful in doing so. What's the point in putting in an effort for pole position, only to be taken out for no reason at the beginning?

The racing isn't any better as we progress. I was flat out up a straight on a track called Essington Park, and there is a flat out, right hander at the top of this hill (similar to Eau Rouge in a way). A guy behind was in my slip-stream so I held the inside line. Despite this, he came up behind me, making no effort to move and simply rear-ended me off the track. Now, in a situation like this, I show no remorse if I catch this guy later in the race. I've nothing to lose and all to gain. That said, I would never intentionally cause an accident for the fun of it. I make an effort to overtake correctly and, if someone decides to cut me off unfairly, I play robustly and fight them back. But never is it my intention to play dirty.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Hmm yeah that reminds me of an incident I had in LFS one race, just a fun event. Got the slipstream and up alongside this guy and he just moved across on me on the straight and pushed me off the road. So after bouncing around and just holding it I found my suspension was damaged. Managed to get around the next corner but he'd made a mistake and was right in front of me going into the next corner after that, but because of my suspension damage I lost control and punted him up the backside and then flew off the road myself (I was just trying to get to the pits). After the race he threw a huge wobbly about my unsportsmanlike driving and the jury wanted to ban me, etc. So I just said fine, but please go back 30sec before that in the replay and see what HE does to ME. My ban was dropped and he was never seen again...
    CMR4L titles: 2, RBR MF Cup titles: 2
    :champion: