Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

BTCC vs WTCC vs DTM vs V8 Supercars

I thought I would set this thread up to see which series people think is the best touring car series in the world. Although I don't follow touring car racing as strongly as bike racing, I find each series interesting, apart from the WTCC, which imo is getting worse each race.
    Whats a uni?

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    While WTCC, BTCC cars are probably what most people would class as 'proper' Touring cars - they're as boring as hell. 2L n/a buzz boxes which are underpowered don't do anything for me. The WTCC is a joke, which needs an overhaul; cars, tracks, formats. Ballast has no place in a World Championship!
    The DTM is the most professional with the best cars, but not much overtaking. The AussieV8's have the best mix of races - sprint and endurance. While the BTCC has the most overtaking, and crash, bang, wallop action - I find the races too short.
    In an ideal world there would be 1 Touring car reg, but that'll never happen.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    While WTCC, BTCC cars are probably what most people would class as 'proper' Touring cars - they're as boring as hell. 2L n/a buzz boxes which are underpowered don't do anything for me. The WTCC is a joke, which needs an overhaul; cars, tracks, formats. Ballast has no place in a World Championship!
    The DTM is the most professional with the best cars, but not much overtaking. e.

true indeed
    Whats a uni?

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    DTMs are touring cars in my eyes. They're pretty much prototypes with a recogniseable shell over the top. V8s are close to that but don't use such exotic materials.
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Of the four series mentioned, V8 Supercars is surely the best — a stable championship with good drivers, exciting cars, excellent racing and widespread public support. Having been to a DTM round this year and watched several of the other races on German television, the atmosphere is great, but the racing diabolically boring. I was bored rigid. When the BTCC is good, it's very good — the third race at Donington on Sunday was clean and entertaining all the way through. But when it's bad... Nobody minds a bit of contact, but not to the degree we now see, and I am increasingly uncomfortable with various matters relating to the technical regulations. The outcome of a motor race should always be decided along meritocratic lines, not as a result of enforced equalisation. The cars themselves don't bother me, and the same goes for the WTCC, but it has become a real joke this past season, and I don't understand why the FIA bothers with it.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    The WTCC should be the pinnacle of Touring car racing - that means the best cars, drivers, tracks, etc A 'DTM-type' car should be used, 400ishBHP, RWD. And race on proper tracks!

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    The WTCC should be the pinnacle of Touring car racing - that means the best cars, drivers, tracks, etc A 'DTM-type' car should be used, 400ishBHP, RWD. And race on proper tracks!
    Those who watched Jim Clark in a Lotus Cortina would argue that a saloon/touring car does not have to be the most powerful around to offer good racing. The trouble with DTM cars — and to some extent the race format and circuits used — is that the racing is often terrible, like Formula 1 circa 2002.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have never really watched the V8 Supercars so I can't judge how good a series it is. Of the other three I prefer the BTCC more since it is the most exciting but there needs to be more punishment of excessive contact. DTM is certainly the most professional but can be rather dull. WTCC is run badly and the racing isn't always good fun.
    Blackadder! Blackadder! With many a cunning plan,
    Blackadder! Blackadder! You horrid little man.

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Best racing:BTCC
    coolest Cars: DTM
    best concept for a series:WTCC
    most under performing series:WTCC
    most farcicle:WTCC

changes for the WTCC are needed, i think we can all establish.
    Congratulations Sebastian Vettel. Champion of the season of seasons.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree the WTCC leaves much to be desired

There is a Potentially good Racing series here, But for some reason it just gets worse and worse..

For me i have to say BTCC, Whilst it may not be as glamerous as it was in the 90's, Still produces great Racing