Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts

The Quality of the Spa-meister

As we approach the Belgian Grand Prix I cannot but think of Raikkonnen for he will be absent next weekend.

It is a disgrace, and indictment of the sport and says much of f1 today that a driver such as him is not on the grid.

In my view he is the quintessential grand prix driver, the ideal in attitude and belongs as he himself declared, in another era - the 60's or the 70's.

He is the driver with the strongest self-esteem in motor racing - not in need of a kind, sympathetic or emotional team - just give me car and I will race - and to me is a combination of Rindt, Peterson and Lauda.

He would not have agreed to Hockenheim, would not have complained at Silverstone and would have said nothing - perhaps shrugged - if he had been the object of Schumi's attention at Hungaroring.

He would have merely fought, done his best and gone home afterwards.

Kimi in a RB6 would be phenomenal at Spa and would win for the FIFTH time.

He is not suited to the touchy-feely nonsense that eminates these days from too many drivers. How do you "feel" is not a question that the Ice Man would answer from some New Agey type "journalist" - there are too many today of them as well as it appears the overwhelming people who call themselves "fans".

Just look at the screaming amd emotional outbursts that happened after the incidents above.

No matter WHO wins next Sunday, he will not have beaten Kimi Raikonnen at Spa and that is not a complete victory.

A pox on the FIA and the politics of f1
    Jense - Mclaren MP4-25 :D
    MonzaOne :D

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Now that Kimi himself has said it's unlikely he'll return to F1, surely this belongs in History & Nostalgia.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman
    Now that Kimi himself has said it's unlikely he'll return to F1, surely this belongs in History & Nostalgia.
    OMG - it may be the wrong category

If I have erred then the moderators will change the category - to me with Spa coming up and a retun to f1 not entirely ruled out, it does not belong in history and nostalgia.

Other than this and more importantly you have absolutely no thought on Kimi?

Tch, tch!

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    so i gather from the above "screaming and emotional outbursts" are not to be tolerated in the modern day F1? or is that ok when explaining the emotions (maybe even, god forbid, "feelings") behind being a Ferrari fan that allow you to justify defending any actions the team may make?

on the Kimi and spa thing, i was a big fan of his driving and i miss his approach to the sport, but i do not necessarily think that against the background of some of the strongest competition in F1, even in a Red Bull he would necessarily win. He would certainly be in the hunt though.

However he has gone, and it doesn't look like he'll be back, and i also think his mentality and approach fit WRC better than F1, in anything i've seen recently he seems thouroughly relaxed and enjoying his sport. if your not enjoying your sport you are never going to perform at your best, so good luck to him
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinho
    so i gather from the above "screaming and emotional outbursts" are not to be tolerated in the modern day F1? or is that ok when explaining the emotions (maybe even, god forbid, "feelings") behind being a Ferrari fan that allow you to justify defending any actions the team may make?

on the Kimi and spa thing, i was a big fan of his driving and i miss his approach to the sport, but i do not necessarily think that against the background of some of the strongest competition in F1, even in a Red Bull he would necessarily win. He would certainly be in the hunt though.

However he has gone, and it doesn't look like he'll be back, and i also think his mentality and approach fit WRC better than F1, in anything i've seen recently he seems thouroughly relaxed and enjoying his sport. if your not enjoying your sport you are never going to perform at your best, so good luck to him
    Tolerated is too severe a word - pandering to, as to all types of prima donna behaviour, should be avoided. Unfortunately given the narcistic attitudes these days with Facebook and My Space, as well as so-called "reality tv" - these are egotistical times where the lack of self-esteem and the emotionalistic [different from emotions] is considered virtuous.

He MAY not have won, true - but my primary intention was to point out that him not being in the hunt - as you say - is an indictment of f1.

Would we rather have the mobile chicanes of the slow teams or a rule that can eliminate a useless competitor for someone like a third car with Kimi driving an RB6?

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Devote
    As we approach the Belgian Grand Prix I cannot but think of Raikkonnen for he will be absent next weekend.

It is a disgrace, and indictment of the sport and says much of f1 today that a driver such as him is not on the grid.

In my view he is the quintessential grand prix driver, the ideal in attitude and belongs as he himself declared, in another era - the 60's or the 70's.

He is the driver with the strongest self-esteem in motor racing - not in need of a kind, sympathetic or emotional team - just give me car and I will race - and to me is a combination of Rindt, Peterson and Lauda.

He would not have agreed to Hockenheim, would not have complained at Silverstone and would have said nothing - perhaps shrugged - if he had been the object of Schumi's attention at Hungaroring.

He would have merely fought, done his best and gone home afterwards.

Kimi in a RB6 would be phenomenal at Spa and would win for the FIFTH time.

He is not suited to the touchy-feely nonsense that eminates these days from too many drivers. How do you "feel" is not a question that the Ice Man would answer from some New Agey type "journalist" - there are too many today of them as well as it appears the overwhelming people who call themselves "fans".

Just look at the screaming amd emotional outbursts that happened after the incidents above.

No matter WHO wins next Sunday, he will not have beaten Kimi Raikonnen at Spa and that is not a complete victory.

A pox on the FIA and the politics of f1
    Agreed!!

But, I wont rule out a comeback for Kimi just yet.
    He is a young man with a strong will, but something or someone can change his mind.

And then, then there is the Robertsons!

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Let's face it. Kimi has won the World Championship. What is there for him to come back for?
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    Let's face it. Kimi has won the World Championship. What is there for him to come back for?
    You make a valid point - after winning the WDC a driver has to have a new challenge to remain motivated or just enjoy f1 - Kimi decided he had neither.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    Fact. Kimi is/was top draw, but like Jody before him the one title was enough. He simply isn't interested in "bigger numbers" and I doubt he'll ever race again in F1.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    He could come back to win it properly instead of inheriting it after Hamilton screwed up royally!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums