Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The first 2011 Silly Season driver/team thread

Since the schedule is out now I thought I’d put together my first silly season list, its September anyway and we should see at least one major announcement at Homestead. We will know the sport is getting better the shorter the season is. Hopefully there will be fewer last minute deals, drivers and their teams will be able to stay together during off season and come back stronger. The less movement we see the better the sport is honestly.

Andretti Autosport
    The team is looking at getting all four of its drivers back, with deals locked in for three of their four teams they can focus on finding more money for Ryan Hunter Reay

Penske Racing/Team Penske Racing
    Penske is on record saying the plan is to remain a three-car team in 2011. Castroneves' contract goes through next year, Will is unsigned, but will probably be the champion, so if there is an odd man out it would be Briscoe, but he might have to take a pay cut to remain at Penske if sponsorship cannot be found.

Target Chip Ganassi
    No third car for Graham, no major changes expected. Scott Dixon is talking about wanting to form his own team, but is under contract for 2011. There is a chance that Chip decides to help Scott form a satellite team

A.J. Foyt Enterprises
    Never hear anything about these guys, they’re field filler with a loyal sponsor. ABC will probably be returning but they don’t seem to be putting any effort into securing a second sponsor or building their operation.

KVRT
    KV Racing wants to be back with three cars next year. Lotus is back and that probably means Takuma Sato is back as well. As for the other two ride buyers... there are a lot of free agents out there and Lotus may want a British driver.

Panther
    Supposedly Graham Rahal is close to closiing deal for 2011 for the No. 4 National Guard car. Quick Trim and NTB could join as associate sponsors. They are looking at possible second car for Ed Carpenter, Dan Wheldon or anyone who either can bring money or they could build a deal around.

de Ferran Dragon Racing
    I heard that HP is a two year deal but Matos is clearly on the hot seat and he's at the end of a two-year contract. They would like to expand to a second car but are in the same situation as Panther. Could be a possible destination for Graham Rahal or Dan Wheldon.

HVM
    Simona de Silvestro says she wants to be back in Indycar next year, and of course Keith Wiggins wants her to come back with HVM. Simona's people are looking for sponsorship for her, Keith's people are looking for sponsorship for her and also looking for another ride buyer/more sponsorship for a second car.

Conquest
    Apparently Eric Batchelart has realized he needs to build his team around a driver and Bertrand Baguett realized he’s not F-1 bound anymore and they’re talking about next year. It looks like they’ll have Baguett in a full-time ride with a rent-a-car available for ride buyers.

FAZZT
    Tagliani has a four year contract. They’re supposedly committed to finding a second car for a Canadian driver; Paul Tracy and James Hinchcliff are seen as the mostly likely candidates at this point.

Newman Hass
    This team is still in flux. I don’t think anyone knows what NHR’s 2011 plans are.

Dreyer and Reinbold Racing
    Will be back with cars and a couple of part time deals in 2010, but who the drivers will be is anyone’s guess. Justin Wilson and Z-Line only has a one-year contract and both could go somewhere else. Mike Conway will probably be back if his recovery goes as planned.

AFS Racing
    Will be a one-car satellite team for Andretti in 2011 most likely with Adam Carroll driving.

Sarah Fisher Raciing
    More than likely will remain a one car, part time team unless more funding is found.

Rahal Letterman Racing
    Could be back full time if they find a sponsor. I would expect they will be back at Indy and possibly a few other races.

Dale Coyne Racing
    Who knows... seriously both drivers are on one-year contracts. Alex put a bit of his own money into the deal and would like to move up and honestly has the results to merit a better ride, Milka might not be allowed back.

Possible new teams

Walker Racing Partners
    Supposedly Derrick Walker and Greg Beck will have a full time team in 2011, if sponsorship can be found. They’re talking with J.R. Hildebrand, but could be a destination for a number of drivers.

Bryan Herta Autosport
    I think he's targeting 2012 as his first full season but his plan calls on making the Indy 500 this year and he'd like two have two cars in the race.

Known and likely free agents in absolutely no order, some are looking harder than others, and some are available if someone wants them.
    Justin Wilson (Have sponsor will travel)
    Graham Rahal
    Paul Tracy
    Dan Wheldon
    J.R. Hildebrant
    Alex Lloyd
    Milka Dunno
    Jonathan Summerton
    John Edwards
    James Hinchcliff
    Bruno Junquaria
    Oriol Servia
    Franck Perrera
    J.K. Vernay
    Daniel Morad
    Kevin LaCroix
    James Rossiter
    Ana Beatriz
    Stefan Wilson
    Ed Carpenter
    Mario Moreas
    E.J. Viso
    Bruno Senna
    Sebastien Bourdais
    Conor Daly (Will probably be full time in Indy Lights, but should be at Indy and few other races, possibly with Sam Schmidt Motorsports)
    Dan Wheldon
    Jan Heylen
    Scott Speed
    Casey Mears (Only because he will never get a mildly competitive ride in NASCAR again)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd like to see Andretti cut back to a two car operation with Hunter-Reay and Kanaan... I know family means that Marco needs to be there too - but if they want to realistically compete for the championship again they need to focus more on their cars that can win without luck (i.e. Tony and Ryan).... Perhaps the same thing can be accomplished with a spin-off team - instead of a 4 car team maybe run two two cars teams.....

Rahal to Panther sounds promising - but I hope he can have a veteran teammate to help with setups etc. as Graham is still young and relatively inexperienced...

I am guessing Newman-Haas will just fade away....

If D&R can continue to step it up they could become more competitive yet - would be nice to see JW stay there and to add another "legit" driver - if that works for them to allow JW to occasionally compete for a win....

Overall, I'd like to see at least two more teams step up to the top level and/or Ganassi and Penske take a step backwards - the series needs it to be mixed up a bit more to be interesting.... It would be great to see 6-8 winners from 6 teams next year.....

i should add that it is not like what I have to say matters!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ganassi needs a 3rd car and put Simona in!!!!!!!!! and finally put the nail in the Danica coffin
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    Ganassi needs a 3rd car and put Simona in!!!!!!!!! and finally put the nail in the Danica coffin
    I'd absolutely LOVE to see that. I really would. Danica aside, I'd just like to see Simona in a car and on a team that's hitting on all cylinders. And of course, I'd like to see Michael "The Man" Cannon come with her.

As for some of the names on that list (the "free agents"), I wouldn't hold out much hope of seeing Bruno Senna, Casey Mears or Sebastien Bourdais racing in the IRL anytime soon. There has to be some desire on the driver's part. And I've not read a word from any of those three that they have any desire to race in the IRL. One could throw Nelson Piquet, Jr. in the mix too. But I wouldn't reserve a hotel room for him in St. Pete either. And second, there is the question of paying them (or expecting them to bring $) - and right now, most IRL teams need drivers who can bring $.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The idea of Ganassi putting Simona in a car is only slightly more likely than Penske picking up Ana Beatriz.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Another driver looking to make the 2011 grid is Dillon Battistini but as usual needs money, here is hoping as he would be excellent.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I recall Battistini really struggiling on the road courses.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As with all "Silly Season" lists in Indy Car racing, it all comes down to ride-buyers and who can write the checko. So, predicting who goes where and what teams field what (at this time of the year) is basically pointless. Hell, Penske doesn't even have a sponsor.

Some fearless (and probably incorrect) predictions though...

-KV scales back to 2 cars, and they are Sato and Wheldon. Casey Mears runs a 3rd car (sponsored by GEICO) at Indy.

-Townsend Bell runs the ovals for SSM, with Herbalife sponsorship.

-Sarah Fisher runs the ovals only in her #67 car, and she hires a 2nd driver to run the #66 car (also on the ovals only). They get the TEAM money, for one car (which they didn't get this year).

-Levi Jones runs a 2nd Foyt car at a few oval races (including Indy). Bernard is going to make this happen.

-Carpenter runs the #20 car for Panther/Vision racing on the ovals and JR Hildebrand runs the #20 car on the road/streets. Rahal, Carpenter and Hildebrand are all entered at Indy for Panther/Vision racing at Indy.

-FAZZT hires Kevin Lacroix or Andrew Ranger to run a 2nd car program for their team. They want a French-Canadian first-and-foremost.

-Paul Tracy runs selected races for D&R, including Indy.

-EJ Viso replaces countrywoman Milka Duno at Coyne, in the #18 car.

-Simona goes to Newman-Haas and replaces Mutoh. Car becomes #78 at Newman-Haas.

-Indy Lights champion JK Vernay replaces Simona at HVM. Indy Car incentives ($$$) get Vernay into the ride.

-Briscoe is farmed out to Luzco-Dragon and replaces Matos in the #2 car. Hamilton returns in a 2nd car and runs 4-5 races (including Indy).

-Hornish Jr returns to Penske at Indy, in the #6 car. 3 Penske cars at Indy (Helio, Power and Hornish).

-Robby Gordon, Kasey Kahne and Casey Mears are the 3 Cup drivers, who enter the Indy 500.

-Danica Patrick, Ryan Briscoe and Graham Rahal enter the Coke 600.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would like to see Buddy Rice back in a competitive ride and Scott Sharp. But of course I am probably just dreaming.
    HOO HOO HOO HOOSIERS !

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Schumacher to quit F1 and go for an Indy 500 win? I'm joking...
    No longer active on this forum