Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    I think the thing to remember it was always termed a "concept" - in that there may be engineering ideas you can take and evolve into a workable solution. But there's too many unknowns is the concept to really make an informed argument on whether it could be built, built cheaply enough or indeed work on a race track.

Oh and it's ugly as sin.
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e2mtt
    Wow. So basically they say they are going to build an entire carbon fiber structure that is both stiff enough to handle like a racecar & protect a driver in a high-speed crash, and it will only weigh about 500 lbs?

No way that will be cheap. :-)
    I think the current design is going to be about 650 for chassis minus engine/trans but including everything else.

Of course if we add 100 pounds of engine (160 up to 260) we have to add weight (and power) everywhere else.

Just about every "fresh" design gains weight and cost as reality of production approaches, but please , build one or we will forever think it was the Tucker conspiracy of racing.

rh
    "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

CRGE - They are a clean energy company with some serious alleged energy generation contracts.. should we buy at current level?

please also comment about it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am a registered professional mechanical engineer and although my specialty is heat transfer, power generation, and HVAC- I just don't see how the DW will "Turn" given the narrow front track and very small tire contact patch versus the very large power-down contact patch in the rear on a much wider track.

Those guys make all the phone computer graphics they want showing the giant car zooming around but I won't believe it until I actually see it. Given that however I would rather ICS had "gone big" and picked a more radical concept than the rather generic model chosen.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I still think the DeltaWing would be an exciting concept IFFFF they get rid of the ridiculous narrow front wheels. Regardless of whether they would be feasible from a steering/racing point of view, it just doesn't LOOK right to me. And looks ARE important.

Wouldn't most of you be able to live with this:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maximilian
    I still think the DeltaWing would be an exciting concept IFFFF they get rid of the ridiculous narrow front wheels. Regardless of whether they would be feasible from a steering/racing point of view, it just doesn't LOOK right to me. And looks ARE important.

Wouldn't most of you be able to live with this:
    I'm sure it would be a lot more drivable on a road coarse... however without anything to generate downforce up front, it would still push like a truck.
    N.Hayden L.Hamilton D.Earnhardt R.Gordon S.Speed T.Stewart J.P.Montoya G.Rahal Ferrari Lotus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPVguy
    I am a registered professional mechanical engineer and although my specialty is heat transfer, power generation, and HVAC- I just don't see how the DW will "Turn" given the narrow front track and very small tire contact patch versus the very large power-down contact patch in the rear on a much wider track.

Those guys make all the phone computer graphics they want showing the giant car zooming around but I won't believe it until I actually see it. Given that however I would rather ICS had "gone big" and picked a more radical concept than the rather generic model chosen.
    Computer controlled torque differential, and one would assume sense it has to turn under braking, similar braking differential. I think it was stated at the same point as not needing stagger.

rh
    "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Upon further review, the front to rear tire sizing somewhat approximates the weight distribution so it, according to it's designers, can turn on it's own self.

rh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have tried to forget about this ugly thing...

regarding the steering, if i remember correctly this was supposed to be the most radical idea of all (if memory doesn't fail me here)

This guy is NOT suppoed to steer with its front... well, some call it wheel -LOL, but with a newly created differential steering in the back!!!!

this was the point that eliminated all the "will neverr turn" discussions.
    as aerdynamics might work, but making such a mechanical concept safe for racing (at highest speeds in an oval) costs masses of money - not speeking of the "test pilots" doing the rounds while the engineers figure it out.

you can't do such experiments with a field half full of rookies in general and all rookies to such a concept. with this, even a Franchitti becomes rookie again in terms of setup, behaviour in traffic and all technical stuff. Such a risk may not be ignored.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    And, what do you do if it doesn't work and you've mandated a whole series around it?
    The #1 issue with the whole concept. Bye Bye series.
    I read it on the internet, so it must be true