Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Devote
    The ground effects this time around will be nothing like we saw in the 1980's. Anyone witnessing what happened when there was problem was able to see how dangerous the cars were.

And the drivers hated the cars because there was no feel or balance and it significantly reduced the driver usefulness.

The most vivid memory I have was watching during practice at Sunset Bend at the old Kyalami track. One of the skirts got stuck on the Williams and it literally flung Carlos Reutemann like a slingshot towards the catch fencing - how he managed to control that and literally slide all opposite locked back onto the track and drive around to the pits was amazing!

So this time with all the knowledge available the ground effects will hopefully allow cars to become pretty again including reducing the godawful ugly front wing arrangements we have today.

As well as permit close running without turbulence to allow drivers the chance to overtake when they have made the opportunity - MAYBE even the better driver in the lesser car will once again be able to beat the lesser driver iin the better car.
    Offset by the fact the fuel flow will regulated, the wings will - in theory have to be skinny to minimise drag and therefore less downforce from the body and probably not the rock solid suspension depending how the undertray is regulated.

The front wings? Hmm, I'm guessing they'll become even more uglier to clean airflow around the car.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    According to motorsport.com, most of the teams have agreed to the 1.6l 650hp motor for 2013, and also GP2 will be using the same tires as the F1 cars. This is sad news to me. F1 will no longer be the fastest cars around. GP2 cars at around 610hp and the same tires are gonna be about as fast as an F1 car...so are Indy cars. F1 gonna go way down hill if this really happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by import111
    According to motorsport.com, most of the teams have agreed to the 1.6l 650hp motor for 2013, and also GP2 will be using the same tires as the F1 cars. This is sad news to me. F1 will no longer be the fastest cars around. GP2 cars at around 610hp and the same tires are gonna be about as fast as an F1 car...so are Indy cars. F1 gonna go way down hill if this really happens.
    and i'm not lovin' it . Perhaps , WE're not lovin' it .
    " You need to put your life on the line to become a race car driver. " , ZEROX said . :vader:

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by import111
    If this is the case, it is a mistake, F1 must stay ahead of feeder series and be the pinicle of motorsport, it can't be the same as GP2
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aki13
    If this is the case, it is a mistake, F1 must stay ahead of feeder series and be the pinicle of motorsport, it can't be the same as GP2
    Lets not forget, however, that recoverable energies, KERS etc will be employed, further boosting power output.

I think the engine power being relatively modest is a deliberate attempt to put greater emphasis on perfecting and encouraging the use of ever more effective alternative recoverable energy harvesting.

Lets hope so, anyway.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I can see it now. Renault will be moaning that their batteries are not as powerful as the other top teams, Red Bull will be scrutinised for using the wrong tyre of rubber bands and McLaren will be investigated after having a peak at Ferrari's new wind turbine blue prints.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Exactly, we don't want situations like we've already seen where cars have too little fuel to complete the race and have to go into 'fuel saving'. Let them have as much as they need but only use so much at once.
    And what exactly is the difference?
    Is it easier to police the volume of the tank or the flow rate of the fuel during the race?
    Is it easier to hide the manipulation of the flow rate through the ECU or that of the volume of the tank?
    And which one is easier to understand for the fans?

Not too mention that none of them will carry more fuel than what is needed to finish the race at the maximum allowed flow rate, and that this move will also nullify any possibility of having a fuel strategy game.

To me it looks like they are looking to create a rule that is difficult to enforce and most probably with enough loopholes.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    And what exactly is the difference?
    Is it easier to police the volume of the tank or the flow rate of the fuel during the race?
    Is it easier to hide the manipulation of the flow rate through the ECU or that of the volume of the tank?
    And which one is easier to understand for the fans?

Not too mention that none of them will carry more fuel than what is needed to finish the race at the maximum allowed flow rate, and that this move will also nullify any possibility of having a fuel strategy game.

To me it looks like they are looking to create a rule that is difficult to enforce and most probably with enough loopholes.
    For me, I see it as thus;

For a given fuel rate (that is the constant), they are encouraging the engine designers/builders to come up with the maximum power possible. Surely, this will lead to finding the optimum efficient way to extract maximum energy possible for a given amount of fuel.

Coupled with energy harvesting and recycling, this is allowing F1 to lead the way in development of the future of road cars for you and I, amongst the backdrop of ever depleting supplies of finite energy sources - i.e. Crude oil.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Looking at the set of proposed rules - are we going back to the early 80's? :

Ground effect? Interesting! This could be one of the keys in finding solutions to improve overtaking. GP2 has ground effect cars and racing there is fantastic. However, are they going to restrict aerodynamics or why not ban wings to reduce the speeds as a result?