Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    Infinity is a perfectly normal mathematical and provable idea.
    A God who is infinite or eternal (being the description of an infinite amount of time), is both mathematically and logically in no need of a beginning or end, and by logical extension, always was, is and will be.

There is no need for a designer, if God is infinite; ergo no-one designed the designer.
    As Bertran Russel says, if the designer can be here for no reason, who no the design itself? In my opinion this argument is very old and honestly shows how difficult is for humanity to split with its old customs and mems. For me, the topic about the aliens in the new book by Hawking is far more interesting...
    Formula 1

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodeye
    And of course the american god is the one and the correct one which we all should believe in, right? Not the african, european, asian gods that exist as well? The christian god is the one to choose from the portfolio of gods and not for example Tapio, the ancient finnish god of trees and forest?

I know many people do believe in god only because it's easy. It's easy to justify that good and bad things happen because of god. And it's also nice to believe that after death you'll go to heaven.

It's really hard to accept the fact that human is just a biological creature that will just die and disappear. Just like fish, or leaf or any other biolocial creature.
    Very well said. Although Tapio sounds cool
    Formula 1

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
    Narcissism or simply arrogance.
    IMO none are more arrogant than the priests with their supposed hidden wisdom which is in fact an open stupidity.
    Formula 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Narcissism or simply arrogance. It is the old if I cannot do it, no one else can, line of thought.
    Another term-- god wannabes.
    It's not arrogance when surveys have found a high correlation (however surveys can say anything)

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    "If there's a God, we must see him and if there's a soul we must perceive it. Otherwise, it's better not to believe. It's better to be an outspoken atheist than a hypocrite."
    Swami Vivekananda
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Arrow

"If there's a God, we must see him": look in the mirror
    "and if there's a soul we must perceive it": precisely

and I thought this was a propo:

http://alexbogusky.posterous.com/god-issues-recall

mokin:
    Without sharing there can be no justice,
    Without justice there can be no peace,
    Without peace there can be no future.
    please click here once a day: http://www.thehungersite.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1boat
    IMO none are more arrogant than the priests with their supposed hidden wisdom which is in fact an open stupidity.
    The Roman Catholic hierarchy is probably one of the worst cases of man being a god wannabe.

Some, many, priests are not as uppity as the RC dogma would make them.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    The Roman Catholic hierarchy is probably one of the worst cases of man being a god wannabe.

Some, many, priests are not as uppity as the RC dogma would make them.
    Actually the Roman Catholics made an enormous effort to correct many of their wrongs. Few Churches are as open for dialogue as the Catholics today. While the evangelical churches with their literal interpretation of everything bar the other cheek thing leave me cold and even afraid.
    Formula 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I hate these religious discussions but here's my own opinion.

None of us know whether or not God exists nor do we know who or what created the universe and the planets. I think the whole big bang theory is just a bunch of whoo-hah (cause that's just what it is, a theory). If you look at the world now, we are in the state that we are in because of religion. Religion started most of the troubles in the world (eg. "I blow up this house in the name of God/Allah/Buddha.").

I honestly don't have any problems with the road that they decide to travel since it is their choice and not mine, I just prefer not to get involved, faith is up to you. You choose whether you want to be an Atheist, Christian, Buddhist, Muslim or Rastafarian.

You only know whether or not there really is a God or Devil until the day you die and go to Heaven or Hell. I believe there is a God but I don't think a religion is necessary to see that there is one. Scientists can say what they want, all they are trying to do is put something else in the public's heads.
    Feel free to visit my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/DZoneMotorsportTV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lightbulb

Thank God I'm an atheist!!!!!!!

Not really . . . . . . I just love that line . . . . .
    mokin:
    Without sharing there can be no justice,
    Without justice there can be no peace,
    Without peace there can be no future.
    please click here once a day: http://www.thehungersite.com